Worn Shift Cable?

Jared P.

Recruit
Hi guys my names Jared im new to the iboats forum iv bean reading for a couple mounths theres some smart guys on here but this is my first post. Ive worked on boats alittle over the years but no marine mech.cars were more my thing well enough of that. Heres my Q i have a 1980 mercruiser 260 with the type 1 drive. When i shift into forward or rev. it dont go into gear. Almost but not all the way it just clicks. When i take the cable off the shift plate and work it by hand i can get it to engage both ways but it pushes and pulls almost a half inch farther then the controlls work it. If you make any adjustments in the cable you can only get it to throw farther or pull back farther correct? My shift and throddle cables up front seem to be ok. The cable boot and clamp on the drive look good. Shift cable just worn? Thanks for any help

sasto

Captain
Re: Worn Shift Cable?

Sounds like a streached cable that needs replaced. Others on here will give you a better idea.

Bondo

Staff member

Shift cable just worn?

Ayuh,... that's My Guess,.... While you're changing it,...
Check the shift shaft in the gimbel housing for bushing Wear too...

Welcome Aboard,...
You'll find the Shop Manuals up in the Adults Only section at the top of this forum...

Good Luck...

Jared P.

Recruit

Thanx guys i figured it was the cable just wanted to sign up for the forum and thought id ask. Ill check the shift shaft to. I got the mercruiser manual. weel i guess ill go order some parts. Still wating on my tune up kit. Thanks again.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you're replacing the lower shift cable, replace the shift shaft bushings too. The new style upper has better seals than the original style; keeps water out of the shift cavity, and out of the lower cable.
You'll have to use the new style cable too, so you'll need to tap the mounting hole, unless the cable has been updated.