1997 johnson outboard shuts off when put in gear.

troy72966

Recruit
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the world of boating, so pardon my ignorance for the terminology. I recently purchased a 1987 fiesta pontoon with a 1997 johnson outboard. On my third trip out, i started having problems with the engine shutting down when i put it in gear, forward or reverse. I had the carbs cleaned, the linkage was adjusted and the air/mix screws were replaced. Compression is great. I took it out this past Saturday for the first time since it was repaired and I'm having the same problems. When I took it off the trailer and cruised the lake for about 20 minutes, it ran fine. I shut down the motor and trolled for awhile to fish. I got ready to relocate and I couldn't get the motor to start unless it was primed. It runs great while at idle speed, but as soon as I put it in gear, it shuts off. Please help. Thanks.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1997 johnson outboard shuts off when put in gear.

fuel pump? try squeezing the ball while getting in gear; if that fixes it, then it's the pump or inthe line.
You describe a case of ethanol poisoning. Do you have a new fuel/water seperator filter? Are you running new treated gas from a clean tank since you did the carbs? Bad gas will cancel a carb job in no time.

Lio_miami

Cadet

I am having the exact same problem wonder if you got it fix and what was it thanks

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I'm in the process of solving a similar problem. I too had a case of ethanol poisoning which dropped a bunch of crud in my carburetor bowls and fowled my orifices (among other things).

So I'm curious:

1. How does it die, i.e. sputter, cough and die, or just quit?
2. If you disengage the transmission and advance the throttle, will it start?
3. Not sure if Johnson has primer solenoid, but can you increase RPM via a key push (this might not apply to you, but it works for me)?
4. See Home Cookin's post.

Also, in my case, I don't need to prime after only 20 minutes, but I'm curious if you mean prime via primer bulb or primer solenoid (aka choke, i.e. via an ignition key press)?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Lio and Eric: This is a 2 year old, DEAD thread.

Please DO NOT REPLY TO OLD THREADS If you have a question or a problem START YOUR OWN THREAD.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

My appologies... I did not notice the date on the earlier posts, only the last. :facepalm: