Tach needle jumping

tommydeal

Cadet
I am a boating noob and I recently got a '93 bayliner classic, 16ft. It has a Mercury Force 70 and I'm having tach problems since I filled the gas tank recently. I filled it with a 50:1 gas oil mix. The motor sounds and pulls the same but the tach needle makes a big jump whenever I open the throttle more than a third of the way. The needle is not bouncing but rather making a full jump about 1/3rd of the way across the gauge (often into redline) until I back off the throttle, at which point it jumps back down 1/3rd of the gauge. I used to be able to go WOT without redlining. Have I made a mistake in my fuel mix or is there a problem with the tachometer?

Re: Tach needle jumping

doesn't sound like a fuel problem to me. I had a sim problem - it turned out to be the stator (electro mechanical). Kinda expensive to fix too.

tommydeal

Cadet

Thanks Doc. How would I start troubleshooting this? I've rebuilt carbs and tinkered on smaller outboards but is this something I should head to the shop for?

trumanlake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just for grins look on the back of the tach and see if there is a switch for different pole settings. If so, rotate the switch several times and then put it back on the correct setting. Have seen several that start reading strange when the smallest amout of corrosion builds up on the contacts. Just a thought.

tommydeal

Cadet

I turned that pole switch on the back several times and it has improved things slightly but the problem is still there.

FuriousMob

Seaman Apprentice

There's some tests you can do to help narrow down the issue before replacing expensive parts like a tach. It could be your rectifier or even the stator. In my case it turned out to be both.

tommydeal

Cadet

What tests would I do to identify the source of the problem?