Water Leaking in bilge and heard a light knocking sound when at crushing speed!!!!

jqualls528

Recruit
Hi. I'm to the forum, but I've been reading a lot of the threads and there's a lot of good help here it seems.

I just bought a 1995 Sunbird Corsair 200 with the 5.0 cobra motor. I took it out this weekend and seen where have a small amount of water leaking into the bilge area. As far as I could tell the water was only come in when I was setting still in the water even with the motor off. Also after about 30 mins of running the boat at full speed, I began to here a knock from the out-drive I think when the motor was at around 5,000 rpm. It would only make the knock sound every once in a while. Any ideas on what this could be and could it be related to the water leaking into the bilge?

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Water Leaking in bilge and heard a light knocking sound when at crushing speed!!!

First - welcome to iboats...

water leaking in while at rest...could be from any number of items, but top of my list would be u-joint bellows. Were these inspected prior to purchase?

Knocking is never good - we can't hear it so you will have to determine the source, but drives typically don't knock so I would concentrate on the engine.

30 minutes at 5k on an engine you know nothing about - could've been a very expensive trip, of course could still be if it is knocking now.

You need to start with the very basics - compression test, COMPLETE tune up, fresh filters, fresh gas, fresh oil, engine alignment, inspect/replace u-joints, bellows, seawater pump, fresh gear lube in drive.

THEN take it out and see if you can grenade the engine.

jqualls528

Recruit
Re: Water Leaking in bilge and heard a light knocking sound when at crushing speed!!!

Thanks for the welcome.

I changed the oil in the motor and the outdrive after I bought the boat. But I did not to inspect the u joints or the bellows. The oil in the outdrive didn't have any signs of water in the oil. I'm new to the whole inboard/outboard thing though. Also to clear a few things up, I really didn't just run the boat a 5k for 30mins. I did the whole wromup and easied around until the motor was warmed up and thin I ran it full speed easing into it for about a min or two at a time. lol When I heard the knock sound was when I was triming up on the outdrive. I kind of figured that the noise was coming for the ujoints, because it would make the noise when the outdrive was trimed all the way down. Does that sound like the ujoints. Also when I pulled the boat out of the water, water ran out of the, I guess you would call it the sleave that covered the ujoint and shatf? Does any of that sound like it could be the problem?

full stringer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the guy above gave u your answer u joint bellows that u joint could be bad if you here it upon acceleration it usally is due to lack ogf grease or shot due to water intrusion

jqualls528

Recruit

Okay Thank you guys

Can I change the u joint bellows and the u joints without taking the outdrive off the boat?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

The drive must be removed.

If you will be DIY - you need a manual

Check out the adults only sticky - it is the very FIRST thread in this forum.

jqualls528

Recruit

Thanks and yeah I'm going to get one asap.

jqualls528

Recruit

Can anyone tell me where the exhaust comes out on the 5.0 Cobra motor and the out/drive. Does it come out of the prop, if not there then where?