87 40hp evinrude

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice
'87 evinrude VRO-disabled 40hp - 15' bass boat (1000 lbs with motor)
115# both cylinders
New fuel pump
fairly new coil packs
sat up for about 3 months or so.

First time out( 2 weeks ago) the motor fires up just fine, idled rough, then struggled to rev up. With 2 people on board it would only plain out if my passenger moved to the bow, an it ran about 10mph topps. Then with just myself in the boat it would slowly get up to plain (10-15 seconds) then run about 15-18mph. Don't have a tach but I know it wasn't reving very high.

Changed out the NGK plugs that were in it with Champion QL77jc4 gapped .030.

2nd outing. Motor fired right up as usual. Let it idle for 2-3 minutes then shoved off. Once out of the wake zone I leaned into full throttle and the motor struggled to rev and then died at full throttle. Fired it back up and slowly moved to full throttle and we staggered back to the launch at about 4 mph.

The motor sounded like it would start to rev, but them pause and stumble real bad.

Got home, checked the carbs and they are opening all the way. Pulled the plugs and the bottom looks virtually clean and the top has typical char with slight moisture on the electrode.

If I spray a shot of carb cleaner in the top carb the motor dies. If I spray in the bottom cylinder is barely stumbles but keeps running.

It also rattles real bad at idle as if it is only hitting on 1 cylinder, so I'm thinking the bottom cylinder isn't getting fuel.

Any thoughts?