newbie engine swap question

rguy

Cadet
We have a 1995 20' Misty Harbor pontoon boat with a short shaft Force 75. The lower unit recently gave up the ghost; however, I aquired a Force 85 very cheap. I am planning on removing the 75 and installed the 85. My concern is the 75 is a short shaft and the 85 is a long shaft. how much of a problem will it be running the long shaft 85? Do I need to raise the engine or will it even matter?

Thanks.

Rob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: newbie engine swap question

Your pontoon should have had a long shaft motor on it to start with so putting one on now will benefit you. Mount it full down.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Your pontoon should have had a long shaft motor on it to start with so putting one on now will benefit you. Mount it full down.

Thats what i was thinking reading your post -
How did your pontoon do with the short shaft motor :confused:

rguy

Cadet

thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, the 75 and 85 have different mounting holes. How much of a problem is drilling 4 more holes in the transom?

Will that weeken the transom too much?

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my mercury didnt require i drill any holes... it is a compression mount using a c-clamp like transom clamp.. there are two other places visible on the wood area of my transom where other motors have been mounted, wouldnt think you would have a problem.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Great!

Once I verify good compression on the 85hp, I'll start the swap.

Thanks.

Be VERY sure you do that ;)
I bought my pontoon with a Johnson 115 told that all it needed was a water pump----wrong--one cylinder trashed :mad:
I'm about to pull it & install a Johnson 110 - Sure glad i had one :rolleyes:
Good luck on yours-----:)