1997 evinrude 115

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
model #e115gluc.

out today, driving around for probably an hour from idling and then full planing situation.

power cut out, motor still ran for probably 30 seconds more then stopped. would restart but couldnt give it throttle.

primer ball completly empty, if we pumped the ball up motor would stay running, but then we got a slow beep coming from under the dash and instantly shut it down. any thoughts on this? im thinking fuel pump from what ive read, but not really sure what could be bad inside it. any help is much appreciated

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 evinrude 115

If the primer bulb collapsed, the problem is either the primer bulb or something between it and the fuel supply.

The bulb can't hold prime if there is an air leak.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

why would the alarm go off like its not getting oil, the oil has its own primer bulb.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The beeping alarms are oil alarms, but In your opening comments you said that the primer bulb was empty.

If the gasoline side of the pump has an air leak, the oil side of the pump will overcompensate and pump too much oil.

The best choice here is to follow the test procedure for the VRO/OMS to be sure that the pump is working properly. If you don't have the service manual, use this link: http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/vropics/VROflowchart.JPG

maxhighlife

Cadet

I have that happen in to different boats and the pick up in the tank got clogged and on one to make it worse when it shut off it would flote off and a few mis later do it again talking about beating your head on the wall dont over look the simple stuff

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the oil primer was still solid like it normally is, we tried to pump it more but it was rock hard. the gas side was empty but didnt seem deflated. i dont have a pressure tester and dont want to drop 100 bucks on a one use item.

when i pump the gas bulb, i can hear the fuel pump make like a gushing sound, normal?

if the gas side was clogged, would the oil alarm still go off?