Lake michigan, northern indiana

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have never been to lake michigan, but this holiday weekend we want to go to the top of the state, and shore camp off lake michigan. first of all, is this legal, and secondly, if anyone is familiar with an area between gary and michigan city, please recommend me a place to launch. thanx a ton.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lake michigan, northern indiana

I have not been to for a long time, probably almost 20 years about when I was 10 we went to the Indiana Dunes and it was very beautiful and nice.
I think it would be an interesting place to boat with all the gritty industrial which I kinda dig and then the whole Dunes National Park right next door it has to be kinda cool.

Found a couple boat launches on this sight.
http://www.northwestindiana.com/beaches.htm
http://www.nps.gov/indu/index.htm

I will probably have to get my boat down there sometime for some new exploring and sight seeing.

Saw these on wikipedia and found them kind of interesting.
Chicago_Skyline_from_State_Park.JPG

IndianaDunesBathHouse.jpg

It does look like there is a bunch of garish steel mills, oil refineries and or power plants that some may find visually offensive but hey these are the things that make our way of life possible and I think its good to see them from time to time.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with Winsor, and the steel mills are really cool to see as well. For a nice dune visit, go to Michigan City or St. Joes/ Benton harbor, on the East shore.

findinghomer

Petty Officer 1st Class

yea we are goin to be between portage, and michigan city, but is there a place to shore camp? as in, i have no camp reservations, or hotel, we are planning on boating , then just finding a good spot to beach, then set up camp. are there any smaller lakes or inlets off the main water in this area? thanx for the responses.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know here where I live there is a county park along the lake Michigan shore called "Cliffside" and its a big park with a steep cliff along lake Michigan with a nice beach below probably a mile long and you could camp there overnight no problemo.
I would think at the Dunes national park with its 3+ miles of shoreline you could probably also do the same with little problem, but who knows.

I would call and ask.

By Phone
Visitor Information
219-926-7561 then press
2 - Beach Information
3 - Planning a Visit
4 - Jobs
5 - Law Enforcement
6 - Wildlife & Plants
7 - Superintendent

Receptionist
219 395-1772

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Windsor- you must be near Wind Point!

If findinghomer contacts the Indiana State Dunes park, he should have all the info he needs. But.... there are no inlets , etc. as he would like, unless he goes into the the outlets of Benton Harbor:eek::eek::eek: