150 merc v6 bogs down at w.o.t.

dsb

Cadet
Hello I have a 1985 Merc 150 v-6 the problem I am having is when trying to go when in water under wot it only bogs down and does not go have had carbs rebuilt new fuel lines, primer ball, stator, trigger I am at a loss runs fine in yard runs good in low speed not when put in water at high speed thanks if anyone can help Darin

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Need help please

Hello I have a 1985 Merc 150 v-6 the problem I am having is when trying to go when in water under wot it only bogs down and does not go have had carbs rebuilt new fuel lines, primer ball, stator, trigger I am at a loss runs fine in yard runs good in low speed not when put in water at high speed thanks if anyone can help Darin

Fuel delivery problem. A small leak in the fuel line between the engine and the tank will take in air and cause this. So will something plugging up the fuel filter, or the pickup screen in the tank. A common problem is a loose or leaky pickup tube in the tank. If the fuel pump hasn't been serviced, that's suspect.

If the primer bulb sucks flat, it's a plugged screen. All the rest of the problems will just result in a bog.

DO NOT TRY TO RUN IT LIKE THAT. Just before it bogs, it's at about the right mixture to burn a piston.

Troubleshooting tricks. A piece of clear hose spliced into the fuel line to see any air getting in. A pressure gauge (15 lb) put in the fuel system. Should read 2 - 6 lbs at all times the engine is running. Each carb has 2 pipe threaded holes on the fuel rail. One is left with a plug in it, usually the lowest starboard one. Replace that with a nipple and hook up a temporary pressure gauge.

BTW, if you title your thread with something identifying the engine and trouble, like "V6 150 bogs at WOT", you will get more help.

hope it helps
John

dsb

Cadet

Fuel delivery problem. A small leak in the fuel line between the engine and the tank will take in air and cause this. So will something plugging up the fuel filter, or the pickup screen in the tank. A common problem is a loose or leaky pickup tube in the tank. If the fuel pump hasn't been serviced, that's suspect.

If the primer bulb sucks flat, it's a plugged screen. All the rest of the problems will just result in a bog.

DO NOT TRY TO RUN IT LIKE THAT. Just before it bogs, it's at about the right mixture to burn a piston.

Troubleshooting tricks. A piece of clear hose spliced into the fuel line to see any air getting in. A pressure gauge (15 lb) put in the fuel system. Should read 2 - 6 lbs at all times the engine is running. Each carb has 2 pipe threaded holes on the fuel rail. One is left with a plug in it, usually the lowest starboard one. Replace that with a nipple and hook up a temporary pressure gauge.

BTW, if you title your thread with something identifying the engine and trouble, like "V6 150 bogs at WOT", you will get more help.

hope it helps
John
Thanks I will try pickup tube all fuel lines from tank to carbs are new also where do I get a pressure gauge to do that test and how do you know if pickup tube is bad

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Who diagnosed the stator/trigger problem, or did you just swap it out. Did they test the power packs (switches)?

dsb

Cadet

Who diagnosed the stator/trigger problem, or did you just swap it out. Did they test the power packs (switches)?

A marine shop and I replced both because wires were bad in both and both power packs are new thanks

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I put a clear filter on mine between the fuel pump and carbs. Makes it easy to see if you're getting gas. Might be worth trying.
Another way to eliminate the gas tank would be to buy an inexpensive plastic tank and hose. Use it and see if the problem goes away.

dsb

Cadet

I put a clear filter on mine between the fuel pump and carbs. Makes it easy to see if you're getting gas. Might be worth trying.
Another way to eliminate the gas tank would be to buy an inexpensive plastic tank and hose. Use it and see if the problem goes away.

Ok, great thanks I have one and will try does the filter go after the primer ball

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On my 150 (1992) I've got the filter between the fuel pump and the carbs. It might be easier for you to put it close to the bulb. I think I would put it between the bulb and engine. Just take your hose in the parts store and get the right sized filter. I bought one Friday and they are around 5 bucks. Clear plastic. Post your results.......

dsb

Cadet

On my 150 (1992) I've got the filter between the fuel pump and the carbs. It might be easier for you to put it close to the bulb. I think I would put it between the bulb and engine. Just take your hose in the parts store and get the right sized filter. I bought one Friday and they are around 5 bucks. Clear plastic. Post your results.......

Tanks again I will post result do you know if there is a way to test fuel pump

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I have often thought of that myself but you have to remember where the oil comes in. You need to filter after the oil is mixed with the fuel or any dirt in the oil will go straight to the carbs.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 150 merc v6 bogs down at w.o.t.

On that engine the oil is mixed before the fuel pump. The filter is between the fuel pump and the carbs. It's only about the size of your thumb.

Bear in mind that fuel requirement at WOT is about 15 gph.

hope it helps
john

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tanks again I will post result do you know if there is a way to test fuel pump

Like John said, use the fuel pressure gauge. That should tell you. Once you get the clear filter installed you should be able to see the fuel.

dsb

Cadet

On that engine the oil is mixed before the fuel pump. The filter is between the fuel pump and the carbs. It's only about the size of your thumb.

Bear in mind that fuel requirement at WOT is about 15 gph.

hope it helps
john

Thanks for all of info I noticed today after checking the pickup tube that my 40 gallon below tank is leaking at seams would that play a role in my problem and also the oil resorver has been taken off I mix oil and gas mannually, would I still have the filter between the pump and carbs if so can you explain where thanks Darin

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should still have the filter between the fuel pump and carbs, unless someone removed it.
I don't know about the leaking seams. I don't think it would cause a problem with the engine, but maybe a safety problem.

nat85501

Cadet

I am having the same troubble but I dont know what WOT means but all problems sound the same I am goin to try the suggestions made and will post back with reults. Hope they work for you.

dsb

Cadet

Ok I am having a very similar problem so I have a few question how did you find the air leak in the fuel tank, and how do you check the fuel pump I have a 150HP 87 black max XR-2. Also what is WOT mean?

I found the leak by pressing on aluim tank and fuel was comming out my tank, is full or was I am not sure how to test fuel pump in some of the help people gave me is in my earlier post of testing the fuel pressure and what it should be wide open throttle

dsb

Cadet

You should still have the filter between the fuel pump and carbs, unless someone removed it.
I don't know about the leaking seams. I don't think it would cause a problem with the engine, but maybe a safety problem.

for sure a safety problem tank is coming out I will look for filter I know there is a screen at the fuel pump will look for filter thanks Darin

nat85501

Cadet

I went back and read everything found were it said how to test I will try that tomorrow and I have a fiberglass tank but I am going to check the pickup tube and strainer if that don?t work going to rebuild the pumps they have a kit of under 20 with shipping and handling I would rather just get a new pump but I can?t find one.

dsb

Cadet

I went back and read everything found were it said how to test I will try that tomorrow and I have a fiberglass tank but I am going to check the pickup tube and strainer if that don?t work going to rebuild the pumps they have a kit of under 20 with shipping and handling I would rather just get a new pump but I can?t find one.

you should be able to get 1 on iboats they can ship in a few days i think that is where i got mine good luck I will be working on mine on tues Darin