Volvo Penta starting problems

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice
The boat is 10 years old. I have owned it since Labor Day last year. Been out on water six times. I had a day of boating and the motor was difficult to start all day, so the starter was worked pretty hard. May have had some bad gas. At the end of the day, when I tried to start the motor it made a very loud "clanking" sound. It sounded like metal hitting metal. I brought the boat home and pulled the starter. Bench test seems okay but the bendix gear hangs up before going back into the housing almost every time. Turned motor over using a screwdriver on the flyweel and engine is not frozen. ANy other ideas? No boat shop nearby.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Penta starting problems

Personally, I wouldn't use that boat without a new starter. It sounds worn out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would sure help to know the model, year, type etc.
Volvo used several different engines around 10 years ago.

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

It is a 2000 Four Winns. Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi. I tried to get numbers off of starter housing but they are very difficult to read. I got SAEJ11 MARINE SOOO321U12JL998 as far as I could tell

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

Don,

Do you need other informtion? I would be glad to dig it up for you.

Don S

Need the letters after the 5.0Gi that is what tells the year of the engine, may not be the same as the boat.
I would also pull the spark plugs out and turn the engine over and make sure you don't have water in a cylinder causing a partial hydraulic lock of the engine.
Also check the teeth on the flywheel ring gear to make sure some of them aren't missing or damaged.

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

I am on my way to the garage to check your suggestions. Where are the additional numbers to the 5.0 Gi? The flywheel looked good last night but I did not spin it very far. Will check again with the plugs out.

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

Going down the left side, the first plug was fouled, the second and third both had water in the cylinder. Figured I might as well hold up there and contact you. This can't be good news.

Don S

Put the starter back on and see if the engine will crank over with the spark plugs out. If it does (and I bet it will) blow the water out of the cylinders, dry the plugs and put them back in, and see if you can get the engine started. Only run it for a few seconds so you don't burn up the impeller or exhaust hoses.
If you remove the impeller, run it for around 15 seconds to get the cylinders dried out.
Are you in salt water by any chance ???????

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

I am in fresh water. I have the ear muffs so I can hook them up if you think I should to get water.

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

Am on my way back to the garage to do what you asked. I truly appreciate the help by the way. Will contact you when I get done. I will be a while.

Don S

I am in fresh water. I have the ear muffs so I can hook them up if you think I should to get water.

If you put water on it now, you may get water back into the engine. Get the engine running then we can do some more troubleshooting.
When you was out on the water last time when this happened, was there a lot of extra people or weight on the back of the boat while it was not running.
If the exhaust went lower than the water line for even a second, water would get into the exhaust and into the cylinders through the open valves.

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

I have the starter back on and ready to crank engine over.

What or where is the impeller that I could remove?

I will not use the ear muffs until you say to.

We have almost always had four or five adults and a few kids sitting in different places in the boat. I talked it over with a few that were with us yesterday and I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that we did except one thing. When we got ready to leave, I turned the boat around so the bow was pointed away from land and climbed in over the back swim deck rather than up over the front. It was only a matter of a few seconds until we tried to start it and this noise started. I was still sitting on the back deck.

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

Just cranked over engine. Most water was in the second and third cylinder on the left side facing front of engine. There was a small amount that seemed to be in the the second and third on the right side also.

Don S

I have a feeling water got in your engine through the exhaust, possibly when you were getting on.
Go ahead and put the muffs on and start it up and see how it does.

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

Grabbing a sandwich and then I will put plugs in and start it. In the meantime any thoughts on the sluggish starting? I have one plug that looked fouled but the rest were okay. Put them in new before putting away. I am running 89 octrane but am going to try a different station that turns their gas over more often, and some STP gas treatment. Enigne has 250 hours on it.

Will keep you posted

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

Had to stand on my head to find it.

50GIPWTR

Still haven't got plugs put back in. Going to do that now. Turned engine over again and no more water coming out.

pjeffries

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Don,

The boat started after a few tries. It seemed to be flooded because I had to open the throttle wide to get it started. But then I did turn it over a good bit to get the water out so there would still be gas left in the cylinders from that, right?

After it warmed up it started right up four or five times. I am still hearing a little clanking noise just before the engine starts. Could this be that bendix hanging up that I mentioned way back? It might have just been noisier because I have everything exposed.

Where do you suggest I go from here with the somewhat fouled plugs?

Don S

New plugs, cap, and rotor. and do a compression test. On an EFI, that is very important.
You may still have bendix or starter problems, but the engine is now dried out.
Now, since it had water in it, I would pull the spark plugs on that side again, and check for water again after it has set for a while. This would give any water from a leaky riser or manifold time to get into the engine. I doubt it will, but with the plugs out, if it did have water in it you won't break things.

You have a WT engine which is a 99 year model. That is why I ask for numbers. There are differences in the 99 and 00 models.
Here is a link where you can download the OEM service manuals (for free) you may need them later.
http://www.4shared.com/dir/14518373/c484ddd4/WTsharing.html