Drilling transom for transducer wire, how to cover the hole?

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer
I am installing my Lowrance X125 in our Starcraft SS, it requires an one inch hole. It is an IO so it has a tall transom. What should I use to cover the hole after sealing with 4200? I?ve thought about a clam shell type vent, is there anything made for this specific application? Also if using a clam shell, they list different sizes like 9/16? X 1 7/8? how is this measured, the opening 9/16? deep and 1 7/8? tall? I haven?t seen a description of how they are measured.

Thanks Jeff

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Drilling transom for transducer wire, how to cover the hole?

The 9/16" X 1 7/8" will do you just fine. We do this at Proline all the time...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I took a piece of 1" dowel, drilled a 1/4" hole through the center, cut a slot to slide the actual cable into it and siliconed it into the hole for a waterproof (but removable) installation.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

While JBs install will work fine, so will mine...

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

seabob4 & JB, thanks I think I will incorporate both.

Jeff

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Boss I hope that was a complement, JB had an excellent idea. I had not even thought about anything like that, I was just going to use clear 4200 to fill the hole. Then cover it with the clam shell, the problem I have found on the web is that they give the dimensions but no reference to what the dimensions mean.

As for the PR thing, I don't think I am well suited for such. I have an uncanny ability to tick people off, although most of those are in the whiner, slacker and entitled group of folks.

Jeff