Starter/flywheel/ignition switch 3.0LX

smartwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Background: A couple weeks ago during a lake trip, our spring-return in our ignition switch failed (of course the farthest point from the landing). The switch could still function, but didn't spring back, so you had to be QUICK to get it manually returned to "run" position. We got the engine started and returned fine. It didn't seem the starter was engaged any longer than would be normal. A factory ignition switch wasn't available, so we installed one from the auto store that seemed to match.

Lake trip today: Boat starts and runs fine, but with each start toward the end of the starter run, there seems to be this little "schring" sound. So, of course my imagination starts running thinking everything from chipped flywheel gear, starter gear, etc. It was busy at pull-out time, but I "think" during one time when I hit the starter it didn't engage, so that made me also think... starter... or chipped teeth. That was really quick though, because I hit it a second time and it fired right up for loading on the trailer.

All this just happened this evening, so I've not yet dug into it, but after returning home I pulled the plug wires (so it wouldn't start) and turned it over a bit. Didn't hear the noise, so it appears to maybe be only when the engine actually starts (which may help support it's not a gear damage problem).

What I'm thinking is:

1. starter gear is not returning quickly enough, by why not
2. damage to either starter or flywheel gear

As I dig into it, any other thoughts? I think I'll go ahead and seek the factory ignition switch to ensure that's not causing any elongated starter engagement (not sure how).

I want to think it's the starter and perhaps it was damaged while trying to start the engine with the broken ignition switch.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Starter/flywheel/ignition switch 3.0LX

Difference between an auto switch is basically the materials it's made of, Marine being corrosion/rust resistant. They both function the same.

Your encounters with the malfunctioning switch could have put some stress on the starter bendix and that could be your problem.

smartwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There were several auto versions, but I went with the brass component one trying to account for corrosion, but may still install a factory one to be suren and toss this one in the back-up pack.

I'll probably go ahead and pull the starter. There's no repairing the starter with available parts, right? It's a total replace thing?

zbnutcase

Commander

There were several auto versions, but I went with the brass component one trying to account for corrosion, but may still install a factory one to be suren and toss this one in the back-up pack.

I'll probably go ahead and pull the starter. There's no repairing the starter with available parts, right? It's a total replace thing?

If its the late style permanent magnet style, they are toss-aways. And once starter is out, inspect the gear teeth by slowly rotating engine by hand, and you can do that by pulling spark plugs, then turn alternator with a wrench (may have to tighten belt a bit).

smartwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got it checked out, and no broken teeth on the flywheel. A little rub on the front edges of some, but nothing to cause any problems. Starter also visually looked okay, but it's got to be a problem with the gear not engaging and returning properly. Going to try a new starter.