Mercury warning horn & oil lines

Jim Harpold

Cadet
Problem #1 :mad:
I have a 1991 135 hp Mercury Black Max 3 carb. The warning horn goes beep beep beep non-stop I had it in the shop for repair and after 5 hours of labor to stop it and $423 cost the beeping stopped but was short lived and started 2 days later. The things checked while in for service was the oil pump sensor which checked OK the oil flow which was in specs, air pressure. The beeping stopped when the tech switched the wires right to left left to right on the switch boxes. This was short lived and started again. Ideas and help needed.

Problem #2 :confused:
In trying to fix the above I found that gas was coming into the oil line so I changed the check valve and replaces the two clear plastic oil lines before and after the oil pump. Since doing this I have a air gap in the top of the line that runs from the pump to the gas line. I have opened the oil cap on the engine tank while running to let off the air and fill the tank and while the motor was stopped opened the screw on the oil pump to let out the air in the line but the top of the line for 2" has no oil. Is this a problem or not and how do I fix

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Mercury warning horn & oil lines

The first thing you do if fire your mechanic. You have a general ignition problem. That's a whole 'nuther thread. Wait, you might just have a loose crimp on the wire from the oil alert to the ignition.

The second thing you do is acquire a manufacturer's maintenance manual for your engine. In it are the oil pump bleeding instructions.

With the engine idling, crack the cap on the engine oil tank till it overflows, then snug it down and wipe up the mess. With the engine off, crack the bleed screw on the oil pump and bleed the bubble of air off the pump and outlet hose. You might have to pump up the primer bulb so gas pushes it out. It shouldn't be much.

hope it helps
John

Jim Harpold

Cadet
Re: Mercury warning horn & oil lines

I know the engine is getting oil my tech measured it while running the motor on a 50/1 mix and it was in specs. the remote stays full. I had to change the oil check valve where it meets the fuel line because gas was entering the oil line from there. Since changing I can't get the 1 1/2" air bubble out of the oil line from the oil pump to the fuel line. I have tried running the engine and bleeding the air from the engine reserve tank by cracking the cap until oil runs out. Then I open the bleeder screw on the oil pump to bleed the lines but the bubble will not bleed off. I finally took the line off and filled the air space with oil which worked until I started the engine then the bubble came back same size as before. I need help on this or does it matter that there is a bubble.