First time boat owner--first time restoration

abjur

Recruit
I grew up around boats all my life but since I've been an adult and had my own family, I haven't gotten my own boat yet. Today I received from my father, our old Alumacraft boat, which was also my grandfathers. My mother actually learned to ski behind this boat when she was a teenager (now in her 50's) and I spent many fishing trips with my grandfather and father in this boat.

It never gets used (as you can see from the pics) and so I decided I wanted to get it in good looking/working order, so it is available for me to make memories with my kids.

Not really sure of any information on it other then it is a Alumacraft. My dad thinks it is a 1956 but I am unable to locate any sort of serial numbers to look up. I would like to gain more information on it for my restoration and possibly fishing mods I may do to it. Either way here it is, I am pretty excited.

HPIM2551.jpg

HPIM2546.jpg

HPIM2547.jpg

HPIM2548.jpg

HPIM2549.jpg

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First time boat owner--first time restoration

That boat looks to be in fantastic shape for it's age! Have fun!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Look on the stern corners...some boat mfg'ers stamped model and hull numbers there. And try www.fiberglassics.com, they have a section on tinnys and some good brochures to help you identify the popular brands/models. Enjoy your project. If it were mine, I'd scare up 50s OMC...say 25 to 35 hp Big Twin and be runnin' that puppy on the water. Keep the pix coming...we loves eye candy.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks like a great family boat that's well worth restoring and passing down again someday:)

If you post some pictures in the Alumacraft forum here on iboats, some folks will be able to help with the model ID. It's probably an FD-something or another.

They are great aluminum boats, and getting more rare every time one finds its way to the scrap heap.

I agree that an OMC outboard from the mid-50s would look perfect clamped on there, I'd get a big twin 35hp Evinrude as mentioned:D

Good luck to ya!

abjur

Recruit

Wow, thanks guys...I am still a noob at this but did some research on the Evinrude Big Twins...I want one really bad. Just found out from my dad that the boat is a 1955. He just found the title, so after work I am gonna go get it and hopefully get some more info on it. My dad also says he has a vintage Evinrude 5horse that I could use until I get the engine I want. My goal is to make the outside of the boat look as original as possible but maybe modify the inside to make life a little easier for fishing such as a platform, captin seats, etc.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Surf on over to www.aomci.org and check the clubs/chapters page for a club/chapter near you...they all have trade/swap meets, may be one coming up in your area. Also an excellent source for a genuine running gem...any old outboard that has been taken care of right.