Alpha One Upper Unit Top Cover Bearing Noise

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1982 Sea Ray SRV 190 with a 1986 Mercruiser 3.0L from a 1986 Boat and a Alpha One Outdrive. The last time I took the boat out I noticed a slight whining noise from the outdrive both while idling and slightly louder when the boat is in gear, both forward and reverse. I definitely believe that the noise is coming from the outdrive as when I lean over the transom, I can hear it quite loud. I changed the oil in the outdrive and noticed a small amount of water in the oil, which I attributed to a small tear in the outdrive gasket found when I removed the drive. I verified engine alignment (small adjestment needed), and put the drive back on, with a new gasket set. I filled with oil and took back out on the water tonight, the noise is still there. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the upper, I removed the top case and peeked inside, didnt see any wear on the two gears, but on turning the upper cover bearing, I noticed a good amount of play, if I squeeze on the bearing and move it, I can tell that the bearings are not touching and it moves up and down in the retainer quite a bit. I know this bearing rides in a race, but has anyone else seen this bearing with so much slop? Could this be the cause? The race looks smooth, no signs of wear, and the bearings have a slight discoloration, but nothing that looks like wear. Not sure where to turn on this?

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha One Upper Unit Top Cover Bearing Noise

I went out an snapped some pix for consideration. Upon inspection of the race, you can see some corrosion, which can grab a screwdriver when dragged across, also are some pix of the worst bearings, in my experience with vehicles, this would make a whining noise, in your experience with boats, would this produce the same results?

Attachments

• 1982 Sea Ray 001 (Large).jpg
    1982 Sea Ray 001 (Large).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1982 Sea Ray 002 (Large).jpg
    1982 Sea Ray 002 (Large).jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1982 Sea Ray 003 (Large).jpg
    1982 Sea Ray 003 (Large).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1982 Sea Ray 004 (Large).jpg
    1982 Sea Ray 004 (Large).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0

westportfish

Cadet
Re: Alpha One Upper Unit Top Cover Bearing Noise

It is probably gear noise. A loose setup in the upper or lower unit will cause excessive noise. The pitting on the bearings would cause the setup to loosen up some. Relace the bearings and set it back up to proper backlash and preload and all should be good.