'65 johnson 9.5 idle adjustment

scotty1969

Cadet
i picked this motor up with a 14' flatbottom and a trailer for $400 the other day . it needed the transom wood replaced , which my son and i did over the last couple days . so today we got a trash can filled it with water and started it up . i was really surprised it started as easily as it did (2nd or 3rd pull) we let it run at the start speed for about a minute then turned it back to idle and it died , it did fire right back up and same issue

ok . i realize it is kinda a noob question but where is the idle adjustment on this motor ?

any input will be appreciated
Scott

Rick.

Captain
Re: '65 johnson 9.5 idle adjustment

Hi There. Hope you and your son have lots of fun with your new outfit. The late 9.5's have an adjustment on the handle right where at the knuckle. You can turn it in and out to adjust the idle speed. Not sure if 65 had the feature or not. The other thing it could be is your carb. needs a good cleaning to clear the slow speed circuit but hopefully the knob adjustment will work. Best of luck. Rick.

scotty1969

Cadet

Thanks alot that took care of it . just ran it at idle for about 15 mins with no problems. i think the primer bulb is bad though cause i had to keep pumping it up ... wadda ya think ?

Scott

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Probably the fuel pump; make sure that the gasket between the fuel pump and the engine is airtight, take the cap off and clean the screen. Check that there are no leaks in the hoses, the fuel pump, or around the carburetor. If fuel leaks out, air can get in, and your fuel system won't stay primed.

If you need to replace the fuel pump, the little square one that they sell here at iboats will do the job quite well. Part #18-7350. http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Pump-for...0661775--**********.096977107--view_id.174139

scotty1969

Cadet

well, after doing some checking it looks like the fuel pump is the culprit . and i cannot find one on-line . it is a model mq-11 any help is greatly appreciated

Scott