Tweety and a new job

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To my friend on I boats that gave me moral support during my unemployed time, thank you so much. I go back to work July the 6th. As a heavy equipment mechanic, at a open pit mine hear in the desert. I wont name it yet, but they use to sponsor a fifty desert series, that Ronald Regan nararted (that may be to much info!). My first mate will be happy that I am going back to work also. She thinks I have lost my mind. While I was off I seemed to find many things to spend money on, that we did not have. I am now the proud owner of 1966 cessna 150f. And have gotten my first lessons under my belt. I even managed to get some sailing in with one of my Hobie cats while I was off. But again thanks to everyone for there positive words of encouragment. :cool:

Attachments

• tweetypic.jpg
    tweetypic.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • work418.jpg
    work418.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tweety and a new job

congrats on the new job and on the plane purchase! looks like a lot of fun!

zach103

Commander

Dang that dump truck is tiny lol.. have u gotten the chance to drive one yet?

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have worked at a mine where they have a fleet of those size trucks. One has been converted to haul water to control dust. The tank on it holds 280,000 GALLONS (no, that is not a typo) of water. At 8.3lbs per gallon that truck holds 2,324,000 pounds of water in one load!!

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I have benn "tasked trained" to drive the haul trucks. As with all companys safety is number one with this company. So everone has to be trained on each piece of equipment they are going to operate. since I am a mechanic, I will ebentually be task trained on all eqipment in the mine. Our water trucks are the smaller tripple seven cat trucks. they don't hold as much water as the terex haul trucks could haul. but I am not sure they could pull out of the pit with that much water. I am on twelve our shifts. I work the graveyard shift. seven at night to seven thirty in the morning. but being in the middle of the mojove desert, I think it is a relief to work nights. it only gets down into the mid eighty's at night. the day crew's are the guys suffering in the heat. the last week or so temp's at the mine in the day have reached upwards of 115 degrees. well guess I better get ready to head back to work. thanks for the comments. :cool:

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

wow, thats awesome. I was an operator out here in vegas for almost 6 years. had to fall back to driving trucks. The money was alot better in equipment, but theres just no building going on right now. Where is the pit located, roughly? I drive down the 15 all the time.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I have worked at a mine where they have a fleet of those size trucks. One has been converted to haul water to control dust. The tank on it holds 280,000 GALLONS (no, that is not a typo) of water. At 8.3lbs per gallon that truck holds 2,324,000 pounds of water in one load!!

I think you need to recheck your numbers. I've never heard of a 1,162 ton haul truck and I've been around 240 ton trucks. I might believe 280,000 lbs which is 140 tons.
JMHO and I'm not out to start a pizzin' match,
Mike

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Gypsysoul, glad to hear your going back to work. The whole country needs more of that.
Mike

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you need to recheck your numbers. I've never heard of a 1,162 ton haul truck and I've been around 240 ton trucks. I might believe 280,000 lbs which is 140 tons.
JMHO and I'm not out to start a pizzin' match,
Mike
That is a possibility. All I know is the side of the tank said CAP.280,000 GALLONS. Maybe somebody was trying to make it "look" bigger??

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Well,Mntom, if you're around it again and i'm guessing it's an oval shaped tank, just get the average of the oval's dimensions in feet and figure the area times the length to get the cu ft and multiply that by 7.5 and that'll get the approximate gallons capacity.
Mike

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

redone, the pit is on highway 58 halfway between barstow and mojave. It is the u.s. borax pit. You know the old twenty mule team company. grave yards are starting to wear me out. I am finally off for three days though!:)

Triton II

Commander

I am finally off for three days though!:)

Cool. have a good short break GS and enjoy the C150. Here's my toy:

Markstoy.jpg

1963 Victa Airtourer 115. Proper Tweety colour and heaps of fun! :D

TII

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

congrats on the plane.

My friend had a early 150 also that i came () this close to buying.
40 degrees of flaps ( no detents)and wheel pants. Flew real nice.
I believe you will never grow tired of flying.
Being type rated in 5 diff aircraft i can only say that it never gets old.
My fav type plane is shown below.

Enjoy and be careful in the pattern.

Attachments

• floatplanesmall.jpg
    floatplanesmall.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

redone, the pit is on highway 58 halfway between barstow and mojave. It is the u.s. borax pit. You know the old twenty mule team company. grave yards are starting to wear me out. I am finally off for three days though!:)

ahhh okay. I dont get on the 58 much anymore. Once in a while goin up to modesto but not that often. Glad you found a job, I sure wish i was back in construction and not driving. I hear ya about graveyards, it does get old. I got 3 1000 mile runs next week, not lookin forward to that either. and 750 miles have to be done in about 16 hours straight. no fun.

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well,Mntom, if you're around it again and i'm guessing it's an oval shaped tank, just get the average of the oval's dimensions in feet and figure the area times the length to get the cu ft and multiply that by 7.5 and that'll get the approximate gallons capacity.
Mike
Turns out I will be at that mine Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I will see if I can get the info again to verify what it really is.

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Triton, that is a neat bird. what kind of horsepower. I must admit, that I have not had time to finish up lessons yet. but it has been hot here and my instructor would like to wait for it to cool off a little. the field where I have it tied down is at 3300' elevation. and next week I am leaving on my Harley road glide to run back to missouri, to my nieces wedding and visit my parents and son. and he is getting married in september.
So besides work I have my plate full right now. And in the middle of all of this I am trying to do a little boating this summer. we have taken one trip with my Hobie cat sailboat and the sea doo's (see thread about the plug club!). But I want to get my jet boat out of mothballs and back on the water. I just got the panther jet reinstalled last night. the AMC 401 is brand new and just waiting to be dropped back in. but I have to get a new steering cable bought and installed first. And right now I have to get out into the garage and get the rear tire of the road glide so I can get a new tire mounted for the trip next week. so I guess I will yak at ya all latter Kody:cool:

Triton II

Commander

Triton, that is a neat bird. what kind of horsepower. I must admit, that I have not had time to finish up lessons yet. but it has been hot here and my instructor would like to wait for it to cool off a little. the field where I have it tied down is at 3300' elevation.

She's got her original 115 hp O-235C. We have the same problem with hot weather and high field elevations - the Airtourer far prefers mild and low! Most Airtourers here have been converted to 150 or 160 hp O-320s, but the 115 is the sweetest handling - it just takes time to climb to height for aerobatics! :D

Enjoy the Harley ride, the sailing and the jet boating! :cool:

TII

gypsysoul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well I made the trip back to mo.. got to see my grandkids for the first time. and my sons soon to be first mate. was a awsome trip. did 3806 miles on my Harley. rode straight home from Amarillo yesterday. picture is of me and my bike entering Oklahoma from Mo. at Joplin. Was a great ride, rain and hail in Amarillo. 109 degrees and humidity in Ok. what more could you ask for on a ride! I would leave tommorow and go back if I had the time and money.:cool:

weddingtrip044.jpg

Mntom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike
I saw the truck again. Problem is the truck was repainted and NO markings on it.....:mad: But, I am willing to bet the numbers should have said "Capacity 280,000 POUNDS not gallons. It sure looked to be a 140 ton truck.

Triton II

Commander

well I made the trip back to mo.. got to see my grandkids for the first time. and my sons soon to be first mate. was a awsome trip. did 3806 miles on my Harley. rode straight home from Amarillo yesterday. picture is of me and my bike entering Oklahoma from Mo. at Joplin. Was a great ride, rain and hail in Amarillo. 109 degrees and humidity in Ok. what more could you ask for on a ride! I would leave tommorow and go back if I had the time and money.:cool:[/IMG]

Hey Gypsysoul, glad you had a good trip, it's always good to catch up with family! Nice looking Harley! I went for a fly in the Airtourer on Saturday and went out on Moreton Bay in the boat yesterday - heaps of fish on the finder, but none in the cooler - oh well, weather was AMAZING - flat water, blue skies, no wind and 75 degrees F. My kind of weekend.

Regarding bikes, I've got an 850 Yammie, but she's not registered at the moment so riding's off the agenda until I save a few bucks to register her. This is her at a rideday at the local racetrack... bit different to Harley touring, but fun nevertheless! :D
TRX1_180806.jpg