Blowing 20 amp fuse????

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
After replacing the temp sensor on my 96 3.0LX (Sea Ray) still disconnected I went to start and nothing everything else works blower,bilge pump, lights, ect, but nada to ignition! Just before all this I did re-rap the wiring harness to the shift interupter,lub monitor bottle and temp sensor with elec, tape due to unravelling. First though check the fuse blown! replaced tried again and same result. Next step look up what the red and purple wire connects to checked all those connection seemed to be tight and no freyed and or chafed wires. I know from the chematic the red and purple stipped wire are prong #6 on wiring harness connector. My biggest ? is what should my next step be to help solve this issue? I have a few multi meters to test ohms and or continuty to run trouble shooting tests. Oh yea by the way the starter did engage for a second eough to rotate the engine maybe once before the fuse blew plus the engine was running and starting just fine last Sat. So thanx in advance for any help to my dilema.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Blowing 20 amp fuse????

No takers? I have used the search function and have gotten no real solutions.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

You obviously have a short to ground in the starter circuit. Time to start getting your hands dirty...

When you have an immediate blown fuse, as you have described when you try to start the motor, the problem therein lies in the start circuit. That's the first thing you want to tackle...

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx to Don S the diagnostic test from the stickies section in the I/O forum helped me find @ least the first and hopefully last problem of why I'm blowing the ignition fuse. Tested the key switch with test light the B terminal tested OK, But the S terminal turned out to have no illumination on the test light so as procedure calls replace key switch hopefully this will end this dilema. I will post back results of switch replacement.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Explain how you hooked up your interrupter. The switch should go between ground and the Negative side of the coil.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

bruce if you mean if I changed it or if it was removed no it wasn't after re-rapping the harnes to the afore said assesories I just reconnected the bullet connectors everything is still OEM nothings changed I hope this was the answer you were looking for, Unless you see something wrong in what I did? If so I would appricieate the opinion of someone with your experience. As of now I will be buying a new key switch and hopefully it will solve my blowing of the fuse issue. I don't like replacing a bunch of different things at once because that will not help me to know which item solved the issue. I have to move wisely from here because as of now I have only logged 5hrs on the boat this year.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

The defective key switch may be, and probably is, a problem, but I don't think it is causing your blown fuse. Based on what you said you've done, I think the cause is either a miswired connection when you reconnected the wires as you re-wrapped them with tape, or the wrapping brought together two frayed wires which were now touching each other. My gut feeling is the frayed wires touching situation. The only way to check it is to unwrap all the wires you wrapped, separate the individual wires and examine them carefully for signs of fraying and/or shorting. While they're apart, try starting the engine. If it now works, you'll know what was blowing the fuse. All you have to do then is find the two frayed wires and tape them separately before you retape the whole harness. Good luck and let us know what you find. Hy

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Before dianosing the key switch that is exactly what I did and did not see any frayed and or bare wires and all the connection are correct and color coded so it's kinda hard to connect incorrectly especially when the male and female bullet connectors are male female side by side from each connection. As said earlier will be purchasing new key switch in a few days and will post back with results. Thanx for the input!!!!!!