1992 xr6 150 no fire to 2-4-6

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok. I'm not getting fire to cylinders 2 -4-6 at idle.
When I give a little gas, they fire (this is testing with the muffs).
Took her to the water and same deal, she will start firing once you give some gas, then start skipping (I'm guessing also not firing).
Anybody else had this. I find it hard to believe 3 coils are bad, so I'm guessing power pack or stator. ??????????

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1992 xr6 150 no fire to 2-4-6

Stator, the low speed windings....

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, I'm looking in the service manual and they suggest stator, trigger or idle stabilizer.
I'm thinking while I'm under the flywheel, I'll change the trigger also.
Some idiot that owned it before me left the ground from the stator unhooked. I didn't know what it was until looking at the manual, I may try connecting it just for kicks, but sounds like I'm stator shopping

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Yeah, I'm looking in the service manual and they suggest stator, trigger or idle stabilizer.
I'm thinking while I'm under the flywheel, I'll change the trigger also.
Some idiot that owned it before me left the ground from the stator unhooked. I didn't know what it was until looking at the manual, I may try connecting it just for kicks, but sounds like I'm stator shopping
CDI electronics....e-bay. Paid $150 for mine brand new.

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

update: I'm thinking now the trigger linkage is out of adjustment. You can move it a half inch at idle, and the 2-4-6 cylinders fire.
I'm going to read up on setting the timing and linkages. I might actually get lucky this time.

j_martin

Admiral

update: I'm thinking now the trigger linkage is out of adjustment. You can move it a half inch at idle, and the 2-4-6 cylinders fire.
I'm going to read up on setting the timing and linkages. I might actually get lucky this time.

That's not it. Stator coil selection by the switchbox is by rpm, so whatever you do to increase rpm, once it gets to the threshold speed, the switchbox switches to the high speed coil and gets enough power to fire the plugs.

Get a DVA, and check the stator voltages to the switchbox. You will find a low reading on the low speed winding to the affected switchbox.

It's the classic symptoms of a single shorted turn in a low speed stator coil.

hope it helps
john

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks John. I ordered a stator and trigger.
When on the lake I could only get 4000 rpm out of it. I only ran in a minute or two, once I saw I still had the problem.
Seems like it would have been ok once the high speed windings kicked in? I appreciate your advice on this.
Do you think the high speed windings could be breaking down?
I'm going to take some resistance readings per the service manual.

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I've ordered a stator, trigger, 2 switches, water pump impeller and gaskets. I'm just going to swap it all out and be done.

j_martin

Admiral

Well, I've ordered a stator, trigger, 2 switches, water pump impeller and gaskets. I'm just going to swap it all out and be done.

Send me the junk. There's probably only one bad part in the pile.

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bet your'e correct John.
If you're serious, PM me and I'll UPS it to you. You just have to promise to keep answering my stupid questions. I appreciate your knowledge. PM me and I'll send them your way.