Grass!

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This time of year we get 17 hours of daylight and it's been raining at least every few days. Between building a deck, my job, and various other chores I just can't keep up with the grass! It needs to be cut every 3 or 4 days!

Oh well, 10 more days of work then I have 7 weeks off! I can't wait!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Grass!

My MOST hated chore......... I fully understand your pain!

Every week it is a 4 hour job to cut mine....... at least in the winter plowing snow is not as often.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I wish we could get a little rain at my house. My grass is having a hard time staying green... Mowing only takes me 45 minutes so I don't mind. :)

ziggy

Admiral

not one of my favorites to do either. we been getting lots of rain too. so mowing is about every 4th day. maybe 5. the mosquito's are bad too. eat ya alive while yer mowing... :(
one good thing about being poorer is ya don't have a big lawn to mow... takes me maybe 30 min. + to do the deed...

fortunately, i don't have to mow today. were in a heat advisory today. only gonna be 97 in the shade w/ high dew point and humidity, heat index of 105, yikes... might even have to wait till eve. to get out to the lake today.

QC

Supreme Mariner

One word: Gravel. Something Arizonan's and Nevadan's have really figured out . . .

Mike Robinson

One word: Gravel. Something Arizonan's and Nevadan's have really figured out . . .

I'm afraid in our mild & moist climate it would only take a year or so before the gravel is overrun with weeds.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Mke-
I bet with all the rain we have been getting here that we are running a very close second place to the amount of grass that grow's there.
I just keep telling myself its only 3 acres I have to cut, no problem. :eek:

Mike Robinson

Well rbh

I guess I should feel lucky with just 1/2 acre.

Make sure you find all those tools before you run the mower! ;)

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I just got a 1966 Cub Cadet 122 from a friend who's moving his business. I just used it to mow my yard ( about an acre ) and it was a very relaxing hour.

Jeff

Moody Blue

Captain

Funny, each spring I fertilize and overseed the yard in the hopes of a lush green yard. Then as the spring and summer roles on, I begin to curse the $@!%$! grass for growing sooo much that it has to be cut every 3-4 days.

This year has seemingly been perfect for growing grass here. My yard looks like a golf course green. The biggest hassle is mowing around all the obstacles. Trees, gardens, hammock, bird baths, deck etc etc.

j_martin

Admiral

Funny, each spring I fertilize and overseed the yard in the hopes of a lush green yard. Then as the spring and summer roles on, I begin to curse the $@!%$! grass for growing sooo much that it has to be cut every 3-4 days.

This year has seemingly been perfect for growing grass here. My yard looks like a golf course green. The biggest hassle is mowing around all the obstacles. Trees, gardens, hammock, bird baths, deck etc etc.

Some fool moves out into the country, clears 5 acres, plants grass and fertilizes it to golf green specs.

Then he complains about mowing every 4 days and I'm supposed to have pity on him. That's hard when you're ROFL.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Well rbh

I guess I should feel lucky with just 1/2 acre.

Make sure you find all those tools before you run the mower! ;)

All sockets acounted for!
I don't know about you, but if I don't keep the grass short in the pasture, man do we get a ton of mosquito's. bbbBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZ :eek:

Summer Fun

Banned

My friend Rick hated mowing grass so much, That he had his lawn blacktopped !!
Yep his 1/2 acre lot with house is now all parking spaces . :eek:

Fly Rod

Commander

You would think that in this day and age someone would have invented a spray that would retard the growth of grass to a height of about 2 inches.

I have a 40'x60' gravel front yard, in the middle of June I use weed killer where ever grass appears, takes about 20 minutes and that is it for another year.

Mike Robinson

All sockets acounted for!
I don't know about you, but if I don't keep the grass short in the pasture, man do we get a ton of mosquito's. bbbBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZ :eek:

We have mosquitos but the biggests pests are the black flies and the no see-ums

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Well, you could always c'mon down to my place and cut my grass for me, with that 7 weeks off. It hasn't been too bad - I think the heat index for most of last week was only about 107 degrees! :rolleyes:

???

MRS

Commander

That's what we do here in the high desert got a little grass in the back for the kids and animals takes 10min's to do.