How often do you have to replace your boats electronics?

GatorMike

Ensign
I was just wondering. I have owned my current boat about 10 years. I use it in salt water probably 20 times a year. When not in use it sits next to my house in the Florida sun. I mention Florida because humidity and also UV rays here are a whole different ball game from most of the US.

Anyway I have never had to replace my GPS or my fishfinders. My VHS radio has been replaced twice the radio has never failed but the microphone goes bad in the humidity. The CD player/sound system I have to replace every couple of years. I have even built a special dry compartment for it inside the glove box but the humidity still seems to get to it.

Expidia

Commander
Re: How often do you have to replace your boats electronics?

I was just wondering. I have owned my current boat about 10 years. I use it in salt water probably 20 times a year. When not in use it sits next to my house in the Florida sun. I mention Florida because humidity and also UV rays here are a whole different ball game from most of the US.

Anyway I have never had to replace my GPS or my fishfinders. My VHS radio has been replaced twice the radio has never failed but the microphone goes bad in the humidity. The CD player/sound system I have to replace every couple of years. I have even built a special dry compartment for it inside the glove box but the humidity still seems to get to it.

My guess is you keep your rig covered as you should in the FL sun. Mine is and when I take my cover off (covered in the garage) the gauges are usually fogged up. That tells me how much moisture is under that cover. Trailerable cover with two vents. But the gauges clear up after underway from the sun.

My electronics all pop off and I keep them in a waterproof and air tight Pelican case in my trunk between outings. Can't be stolen that way either. These case are the best and come in all sizes. I get them without the foam inserts for more room. They can be found at big discounts off retail with a little web surfing.

Pelicancase.jpg

I have a Humminbird 797 c2 SI combo GPS unit that pops off with one button (no wires).
I bought my Daughter a similar Humminbird for around $400 and it does everything my $1000 unit does except the sidescan ability.

My VHS is a Black box unit which is waterproof and sits under the dash. Only the mic which has all the controls and the speaker built in to it hangs off the dash, but unscrews quickly.

My Stereo is a Kenwood where the face plate pops off. The unit is marine grade and water resistant too along with marine Kenwood speakers.

I'd be excited to be shopping for new electronics if I were you because the stuff now a days as compared to what was available 10 years ago is like night and day.

Even though all of my electronics are marine grade which means the circuit boards are coated I still in the winter I take out the speakers and mother units and store them in cool dry place for the winter in the Northeast.

I actually find dollar for dollar the new stuff is cheaper price wise than years ago and WAY more advanced.

This pic shows the mic and radio (has splash cover that goes down) and the Humminbird.

DSC03969.jpg

Pic of mic that pops off taking the speaker (great speaker) all the controls with it.

DSC03972.jpg

Pic of the 1 button GPS/ fishfinder bracket (those wires actually should come up from the bottom, out of sight)
DSC03974.jpg

Pic of Standard Horizon Black Box VHF unit under dash (I paid about $159 new off Craigslist for it)
DSC03968.jpg

Since all the electronics are in my cars trunk when not in use, they can't be stolen when the boat is parked or unattended like when dining in a restaurant. I pop all off and stow in a locked locker while docking and dining too!

Moisture, salt air and the sun are all killers to the life of electronics. My advice is to do what I do and keep the stuff off your rig when you are not using it!

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '86 Four Winns cuddy had a Ray Jeff VHF, a Lowrance video fish/depth sounder, a Vector Research AM/FM/Cassette, a pair of Bose 101 speakers, and a 300-watt audio amp. In the nearly 20 years I owned that boat the only thing that failed was the lamp in the anchor light. The electronics came out and wintered in the garage, but the boat stayed outside.

The '83 Larson had an Audiovox sound system and a Lowrance depth gauge. Both were original, and both worked when I sold that boat.

The '87 Carver 32 has all original equipment. On the flybridge: Had a Garmin GPS180 that worked, but I removed it because it didn't have a chip (obsolete). The Datamarine depth finder doesn't work, and I'm currently in the process of troubleshooting it. The head unit seems to work fine, and so far the problem seems to be in the transducer. The Uniden VHF works, but the mic key is erratic. Probably a dirty switch.

Everything in the cabin works like the day it was new: Ray Jeff VHF, all appliances, charger, lights, pumps, HVAC. The boat spent every winter outside in or around western New York (Buffalo). I upgraded the stereo this season, but the original Maxxima works like a champ. (It's just that 2 watts per channel doesn't cut it anymore!)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I use mine til they're Broken....
Then I buy the Best I can afford to replace whatevers Broken...