6 cyl exhaust horn used for V8?

arfaname

Seaman
I wonder if somebody could advise if it would or would not work to use a 6 cyl exhaust horn in place of the V8 y pipe? I am having trouble sourcing a V8 Y pipe and want to have the option to run my pipes through the leg. I was thinking I could have a Y piece made to take the two four inch exhaust hoses into one 2 1/2 inch (approx) exhaust hose and down into the 6cyl exhaust horn and into the leg. I am running a 5.7L Volvo penta into a VP 280 leg.

What issues will I face if any?

Regards

Sean

Melbourne Australia

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: 6 cyl exhaust horn used for V8?

Pretty restrictive going from 2 4inch down to 1 2.5in pipe.

arfaname

Seaman

yep I thought the same zb but the actual port would be only 3 inch I believe and its then surrounded by water jacket. So lets say its a total of 2 3 inch into one 2.5 inch. I guess Im thinking more along the lines of a single system v8 in a car.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I guess Im thinking more along the lines of a single system v8 in a car.

cars don't have gallons of cooling water exiting through the muffler

I think there would be way too much back pressure. doubt you'd get on plane

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The water may not even get blown out with the exhaust. You may just end up filling that pipe up with water untill it fills the manifold and then your cylinders...Just a thought.

arfaname

Seaman

yep both very good points. I hadn't even considered the fact it flows water also. That has to take up room and in an already restricted exhaust thats gonna cause problems. Totally see your point gents.

hmmm.... back to the drawing board.