Evinrude 115793S overheating

jz78817

Recruit
Hi, all.

I'm trying to help a friend with his boat, which has an Evinrude 115 V4 (115793S) supposedly a 1975 or 1976 engine. The symptom is it overheats at much above idle. Meaning, if you idle through canals and no-wake zones, it's fine, but past that if you open it past about half throttle, the overheat switch will trip within a couple of minutes necessitating an immediate shutdown. So far, this is what I know:

- the water pump is only a couple of years old
- the right side cylinder head seems new(er), it's bare aluminum where the left cylinder head is painted black like the rest of the engine
- the overheat switch has been removed and tested, it closes at about 214F and re-opens around 170F.
- the thermostat and Vernatherm components have been checked and are OK.
- on land, with muffs on the water inlets and the engine around idle, the engine seems to draw in water OK and the thermostat is obviously cycling open and closed.

one thing I noticed when running on the trailer is that when the hot water is being dumped, it seems "fizzy" not like soda but with fine bubbles in it. I don't have much experience with marine engines, but plenty with automotive engines and my first thought is that overheating under load combined with bubbles in coolant = bad head gasket. At this point the only thing I can think of other than a bad head gasket is an obstruction in the water jacket. either case, the heads will probably have to be removed.

am I on the right track?

Thank you.

edit: to add, the water pump has been opened and checked, the impeller fans out OK and there's no sign of any burning or material transfer.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 115793S overheating

head gasket is a distinct possibility. one other thing to check if you have to remove the heads is the flow restrictors. These are rubber tubes that are in the water jackets to direct the flow of cooling water in the block. If these are out of place or missing, then the coolant will not flow right and the engine will overheat. you will need to check the service manual for locations of these, as they may be different than my motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

impellers should be replaced every 2 years.

jz78817

Recruit

welp, I think this mystery is solved. There's no evidence of burning on the head or cylinder wall, but we're definitely concerned about the flatness of the head.

Attachments

• IMG00079-20100702-1915.jpg
    IMG00079-20100702-1915.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1