Frustrating Starter

OldDriver

Cadet
1993 20' Cuddy Chappy, 5.0 LX Mercruiser Alpha1 Gen2

Haven't had much luck with this so here I go.
I've followed the Adult's only on the trouble shooting it worked at first (last year) but the problem has returned.

Boat started fine when I took my son and wife on a tour of Cape Canaveral, but after sitting for an hour while they went swimming tried to start up. Sound from the starter was pretty nasty like the teeth didn't mesh to the fly wheel. It finally started with banging and clanging but motor ran fine. This is the 3rd starter on the boat in 3 years, with the last change out including Slave selonoid, starter, coil and alternator. I've pulled the boat home after it being at the marina so I can work on it (thought it might have been weak batteries but both fully charged). I've tried once to start it so I could flush the motor but the starter now only "free spins" (suspected bendix failure). Pulled the plugs, no water in cylinders, engine turns by prybar fairly easily.
So at a loss as to the cause of failure.

I'd like to fix this once and for all, since being a fat boy (6'2" 270 lbs) it's kinda funny watching me cram into the hatch to R&R this thing. (anybody got a skinny kid for rent?)

Oh yeah, had the Outdrive FULLY serviced 3 weeks earlier and the flywheel inspected at that time.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Frustrating Starter

The banging and clanging issue grabs my curiosity. I would again check to see if the flywheel is worn from misalignment. I would wonder if a spacer/shim might be needed.

OldDriver

Cadet

Well I'm gonna pull it today and see what the problem is. I'll post what I find. Just hoping it's cheap (gawf, cough,mmmmmmm, right!):eek:

"Honey! Break out another Thousand!" :D

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Be sure to replace the starter bolts with New Ones.

Last edited:

OldDriver

Cadet

Won't need those starter bolts for a while. Flywheel tooth failure.:mad:

Attachments

• 100626_110953a_edited-1.jpg
    100626_110953a_edited-1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0

OldDriver

Cadet

Well since I'm going to be pulling the motor and replacing the flywheel and rear seal, any other sugestions while it's out? Just had the outrdrive serviced and gimbal bearing replaced.

Looks like another short boating year........

Bondo

Staff member

Well since I'm going to be pulling the motor and replacing the flywheel and rear seal,

Ayuh,... If the seal is already leakin',.. Ya replace it...

No need to replace the Flywheel when only the Ring Gear is Bad though...

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

Something to look for is someone holding the key too long that damages the teeth.

OldDriver

Cadet

Ayuh,... If the seal is already leakin',.. Ya replace it...

No need to replace the Flywheel when only the Ring Gear is Bad though...

Figured if it's out do it. And it came as a set so.....

OldDriver

Cadet

Talked to my son (the one that I put in business) and he's going to "freshen up" the motor while he's got it out as my Fathers day present.Who knows, maybe I'll get that 4500 rpm (instead of 3800) out of it again?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Just drop in a 350,+ go 4800rpms,... Maybe even with a bigger prop...;)

OldDriver

Cadet

Ayuh,... Just drop in a 350,+ go 4800rpms,... Maybe even with a bigger prop...;)

Actually, he's got a 350 sitting there, told him to quote me on .40 over on it, with me buyin the parts, him doin the labor.

He's got a 19' Volvo 305 2 bbl that'll do 57mph, I know I won't go that fast but, it'd be nice to get close. I've also told him he can go to a bigger prop for his as he can "freely" turn 5000 rpm+.

I'd like the power but still like being Ol' Fat slow and lazy. I'll take my time on the water to be safe vs not safe?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Actually, he's got a 350 sitting there, told him to quote me on .40 over on it, with me buyin the parts, him doin the labor.

He's got a 19' Volvo 305 2 bbl that'll do 57mph, I know I won't go that fast but, it'd be nice to get close. I've also told him he can go to a bigger prop for his as he can "freely" turn 5000 rpm+.

Sounds like it's propped just right to me. With a slightly small prop the engine and drive will never be overloaded, so should last forever.

OldDriver said:
I'd like the power but still like being Ol' Fat slow and lazy. I'll take my time on the water to be safe vs not safe?

I've seen too many under-powered boats come to grief to be putting 'enough' power in a boat. I want 'enough' + 30%.... Just 'cause you got 260hp don't mean you need to drive it at full noise all the time.

My boat originally had 165hp (crankshaft) and that was adequate, just. I now have more than double that in it, but drive like I still have the old engine (most of the time :D), and use about 40% less fuel, with the comforting knowledge that I have the extra power if I need it.

Chris..........

OldDriver

Cadet

Think I'd rather him put a new prop on it like a 21" versus him going into the motor trying to "Hot Rod" it. He runs a car shop (which means he may do a good car,the boat motor is just a tad different),so while ANY work is being done on MY boat, I'll be there "watching" with greasy fingers and the Mercruiser book that I got from here in hand as well.

As to my boat, she was doin' 43 mph wot of 3800 rpm. Motor is a '93 block and not sure last time it was "Freshened Up". I actually busted the flywheel just as I was going to do a Compression test. (I guess my curiosity killed my motor). I knew I had the issue with the starter making noise but thought it was minor.(Couldn't hear all the problems with a closed deck).

achris

More fish than mountain goat

43 is a good speed, but 3800rpm at WOT is waaaay too low. You need to get a lower pitch prop on to get that WOT in the 4200 to 4600 range, or you'll kill more than the engine....

Chris.........

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... That motor with d-dish pistons quenched to .042" with Vortec heads,+ matchin' intake,...
Would make you a Very Happy Camper,...
Horsepower,+ Efficiency...

OldDriver

Cadet

43 is a good speed, but 3800rpm at WOT is waaaay too low. You need to get a lower pitch prop on to get that WOT in the 4200 to 4600 range, or you'll kill more than the engine....

Chris.........

That is actually what started this whole tragedy. I was concerned about WOT performance, even though I mostly just move in the "Minimum Wake" Zones around here, (we have the manatees). I wanted the 4200+RPM out of my engine and to diagnose the engine was compression test, well the rest is history. Prop for my boat is a SS 141/2"X19". Same as my son's. He's running a '08 5.0 2bbl with a Volvo outdrive, I'm running a '93 5.0 LX with a Alpha 1 gen 2.
I know, slow and steady wins the race, unless it's a short track.:rolleyes:

Trust me, when I'm in the office, I read almost all the post here about who's done what to their motor. I read them to prevent myself from doing a dumb thing from time to time. You guys' experience on top of others mishaps has kept me out of the obit page and I appreciate the wisdom found here.:D