'61 Starcraft Jet Transom Project

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
Just wanted to post up some pics of my transom project, and what I think is almost-completed project. I came across a long shaft motor and decided against a jackplate and all that. Took an hour and half to get the old transom out, and about 2 weeks to get everything back together (don't ya hate pacing back and forth waiting for epoxy and paint, etc., to cure and dry?). Gonna throw her in the river tonite and see how she does. Gonna change over the steering in a few weeks and get rid of the worn out rope system.

Anybody got any ideas as to what I can do for new seats?
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 3

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: '61 Starcraft Jet Transom Project

Hi all,
Just wanted to post up some pics of my transom project, and what I think is almost-completed project. I came across a long shaft motor and decided against a jackplate and all that. Took an hour and half to get the old transom out, and about 2 weeks to get everything back together (don't ya hate pacing back and forth waiting for epoxy and paint, etc., to cure and dry?). Gonna throw her in the river tonite and see how she does. Gonna change over the steering in a few weeks and get rid of the worn out rope system.

Anybody got any ideas as to what I can do for new seats?
Rick

I had a 15" transom and bought a long shaft motor that I didn't feel I could pass up. I too went back and forth on the jack late solution, but finally decided to replace the transom and make it 20". So I've been making progress and will soon be at the pacing and waiting stage, I have epoxy on it now, and will paint it next with marine paint.

Looks like you did a nice job. Let us know how it went.

Just curious, what brand paint did you use?

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

It went GREAT!!! Had to go back to the dock and tilt up the engine one hole, but she handled well. It didn't jump up on plane as quick as the 25 I took off of there. Prop pitch may be too high? (10x13), but definately more high end than the 25.

The motor came off a Mirrocraft that is much bigger and heavier than the Jet. It's a 10x13; I'll try something with a bit less pitch and see what happens.

As far as paint, all the white is from HMG and the red is Interlux. I like HMG because you can paint it on with a brick tied to a stick and it smooths out very nice. HMG's red isn't quite as bright.

I would really like to get the seats back to original, but am almost afraid to even think about what it'll cost. I had some foam cut to size and covered them with some terri cloth. Quite comfortable actually.

I read your entire project thread, you'll definately have fun once that boat is done...

Rick

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man that's nice! I'm ashamed to have posted mine after seeing that. Could you please post pics of the interior? Mine had only a rotten floor in it when I bought it. I just wanted to see how the original seats should look.

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man that's nice! I'm ashamed to have posted mine after seeing that. Could you please post pics of the interior? Mine had only a rotten floor in it when I bought it. I just wanted to see how the original seats should look.
Thanks for the compliments! I'll see what I can dig up of the ol' girl before I restored her. Right now, I just recreated the bench seats, and just had some foam cut to make a cushion to sit on. They were white with red centers. I'd like to have these redone, but am almost afraid to get an estimate.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice work there, those Jets have a real classic look to them:)

Check out the brochures, linked in my signature to get ideas on how they looked from the factory. The Jet Stars had a different seating arrangement from the Jet.

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bananaboater, I like those seats in your boat. In fact, that's an awful nice looker you got there! Wouldn't it be cool to have all the Jets lined up on that beach?

Was actually gonna go that route with the fold down seats, but the wife carried on about it not being "original" (long story, but she does know about these old boats - thus the Roamer her and her dad are working on...) Still may go that route, but I would REALLY like them restored to original.

I'll tell ya, if I had it to do all over again, I'd of learned the upholstering trade a lonnnng time ago...

Rick

bananaboater

Ensign

Thanks for compliment.

My first inclination was to try to go with original seat design. Did a lot of searching for original pics with brackets etc. But then practicality took over. I wanted an easier way to get to stern and not have to climb over the back of the seat. The stern folding folding also is very practical. They were not cheap but to build new original ones probably would have cost more and finding original back brackets near impossible.

FYI the originals had floatation cushions and the backs were attached but you probably already know that.

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the original front seat when I got it, but it was destroyed, and, I don't have a very good pic of it either. But you can see exactly how they were in the brochures... The seat brackets were just 3/4 alum tubing bent in such a way as to secure the seat backs to the side of the boat. I reused those in the front, but they look out of place. For the back I just went with some angle brackets.

What really bothers me about what I have now is comfort... Imagine banging down the river at 35-40mph... Bounce, bounce, bounce - ouch, ouch, ouch. :eek::eek::eek: