1st run in the new boat

Socal Pat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had been fishing from my old trusty aluminum boat for at least 15 years. I could make my 5hp tiller sing and dance, pirouette in place, and do it all blindfolded. I figured my new side console 17' Basstracker should be as easy to drive as a car right? Hahahahahaaha. I felt like a total fool trying to go from dockside to my trailer. When I said "port" she went aft. I said "forward" she went starbord. Once I got the bow between the bunks I was golden, but I'm thinking of using the trolling motor next time. I may go back on a weekday when noone is around and practice this for a couple of hours.

I am ashamed. :redface:

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1st run in the new boat

I had been fishing from my old trusty aluminum boat for at least 15 years. I could make my 5hp tiller sing and dance, pirouette in place, and do it all blindfolded. I figured my new side console 17' Basstracker should be as easy to drive as a car right? Hahahahahaaha. I felt like a total fool trying to go from dockside to my trailer. When I said "port" she went aft. I said "forward" she went starbord. Once I got the bow between the bunks I was golden, but I'm thinking of using the trolling motor next time. I may go back on a weekday when noone is around and practice this for a couple of hours.

I am ashamed. :redface:

Don't feel too all alone. You'll soon learn that a planing hull is a whole nother animal at slow displacement speed. The torque of the prop has more effect on it than anything else until you have either forward or reverse motion.

Meanwhile you're bound to park on the fenders once in awhile. Just have patience so you don't hang it up so bad you can't back it off.

If the trailer is set up right, anything within 20 degrees of in line and a foot of the center should capture the boat without much fuss.

If you watch me approach my trailer, I'll be way off to port, because I know when I bump it into reverse, it's going to kick to starboard a bit. I usually bump it on the first pass.

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1st run in the new boat

Sounds like me the first time I used a hotfoot. I actually tried to hit the brake with my left foot.