89 volvo penta's will not start

threequez

Cadet
I have twin 89 volvo penta's that I just tuned up (cond. points, cap rotor etc..) now either will start...I am getting a backfire but nothing else. Engines were running before the tuneup....any help?

thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 89 volvo penta's will not start

Engines were running before the tuneup....

Ayuh,... You obviously screwed something up,... Start at the begining,+ do it again to see Where...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did you set the dwell for the points?

Have you done a tuneup like this before?

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

So you are 100% right off on both !:)

just pokin ! lol

well youve done the same thing to both identically it appears.

have you re checked your plug wires for correct firing order??
then recheck your point settings

you did not pull your distributors out right ??

fish

threequez

Cadet

back tracked one step at a time, tested cap, rotor, points then cond. one at a time with the same results. triple checked firing order and that is spot on. New points gap triple checked even tested selenoid for a spark....but your right at least I succeeded in screwing both up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What is the model numbers of your engines?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

New points gap triple checked even tested selenoid for a spark

What do you mean you tested your solenoid for spark? you check your coil for spark, not a solenoid.

When you set the point gap, did you have the points on the high point of the distributor cam? if not and you was on the low part, the points will never close.

threequez

Cadet

Meant coil not selinoid. (all day in the sun) And yes, points were set correctly. The engines are AQ231a

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

It`s obvious you did the same to both the same way.Now to find out what you did.
how, EXACTLY did you do the tune up and the points, plug wires, etc.

threequez

Cadet

I know it's got to be an obvious thing but I just can't see it...will go over my work again...thank you all for your help.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lanyard hooked up???

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

By chance when you put the plug wires on, you didn't put them on in reverse rotation did you? Counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. That can cause a backfire.

threequez

Cadet

OK I am at a loss here...I have tried everything..reversing my steps using the old parts one at a time. triple checking the wires one at a time as well as the firing order and still nothing the only thing both engines have in common is that when I installed the points the 2 metal spring tabs were install together and the black wire (from the coil) which has a u-shaped connector on the end was placed over both the point tabs. Is there a certain way those tabs are supposed to sit on the post.

thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

u-shaped connector on the end was placed over both the point tabs. Is there a certain way those tabs are supposed to sit on the post.
That sounds wrong. This is why I asked you if you checked your dwell. You need to do it with a dwell meter. You can check it by just cranking. The wire from the coil should only make contact with the moving side of the points. The fixed side gets grounded by the hold down screw to the distributor plate. Might want to take a picture and show us what you did.

This is a perfect example why you always...do one thing start the engine...do the next thing start the engine... That way, you always know what thing caused the problem.

threequez

Cadet

oh man! that is the exact same thing both engines have in common....for some reason I worked on both engines one after another and did not start and test one at a time. I will go ahead and reposition the tabs. Just to be clear...there is a brass colored tabe and a silver colored tab. the outer tab is the ground and is connected to the outer screw before the condenser wire?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I don't know what your points look like so can't comment. With ignition on and the points open, you should measure 12V from the negative side of the coil to ground. If that isn't true, you grounded the points somehow.