Moving to Texas, please advise me

bollie46

Cadet
We are moving to Texas, the Galveston bay area and I am not sure if i must take my boat with or get rid of it. I love to fish, but will it be adequate for the bay. I am safety minded and keep and eye on the weather and water condition even on the Colorado lakes. O yes it is a 15' tri hul with a 90 hp outboard. I will not be able to afford a new boat if this one is to small and I can not go without my favorite past time fishing from the boat. Please advise me

IMG_0928.jpg

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Moving to Texas, please advise me

NOT A GOOD IDEA TO MOVE TO TEXAS, THEY TALK FUNNY DOWN THERE :p

I have been on similar in the pacific, just use common sense. weather to rough and there is no calm water don't go. You will find there are a lot of nice days you can go out.

I have learned that I should not go beyond the break water after 1 pm, the wind come up and it certainly makes for a rough ride

tkae short trips learn the water wind and tide and you should be fine

bollie46

Cadet

Thank you sir The pic of the boat is the day I got it I have installed new seats a fish finder GPS and trolling motor since then. I would hate to see it go. I did have a couple of scary days on our colorado lakes and I learned my lesson. I also saw smaler boats on Corpus Christi bay when we visited last time but nothing is better than to hear from the folks down there.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Also the bay has huge protected areas you should be fine

Don't forget, Texas has some of the best lakes in the southern US (I should duck) and there are no less then 20 withing a short drive from that area

have fun

No worries, you will be talking funny in no time at all :D

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

NOT A GOOD IDEA TO MOVE TO TEXAS, THEY TALK FUNNY DOWN THERE :p

Come on down, we ud lub ta haya.

I am about 60 miles from Galveston and that boat would be just fine in Galveston Bay unless you plan on fishing the back bays that are pretty shallow. The average depth of the bay is around 8' with the occasional reef or sand bar. I have a center console flat bottom tunnel boat with a 115 Rude and hydralic jack plate. I'm good to about 5" of water as long as I don't stop. Not sure where you are planning on locating to, but I would try and stay in Brazoria County. Myself, I am in Angleton which is about 15 miles north of Freeport. Personally, I think that we have the best fishing waters on the Texas coast. If you want to learn a little about the area fishing, tune in to the 610 Outdoor Show for fishing reports and info on Galveston Bay. ( http://kilt.cbslocal.com/shows/theoutdoorshow/ ) from 4am to 7am Thursday thru Sunday mornings and Capt. Mickey and Capt. Bennie will tell you all you need to know about Galveston Bay. They know it like the backs of their hands. I have been waiting for the wind to get right so I can get back to floundering.

Last month about 15 miles from the west end of Galveston Bay in a bay called Cow Trap:
Lauren's 30" Redfish:
Resized3.jpg

Landon's 21" Redfish:
Resized6.jpg

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

A really good website to visit is www.2coolfishing.net . It is pretty much everything you want to know about the Galvaston Bay area. I use the same username over there. Where are you planning on moving to? Thanks, Steven

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

We don't talk funny down heah, y'all just listen goofy. You'll be fine with that rig, course you'll have to get used to hosing/rinsing everything off right after you get it back on the trailer. If Colorado requires boat/motor titles, you should have an easy adjustment to life in Tejas...bring some Coors with ya.

Philster

Captain

Coworker is right from that area. He said: Go for it. Barrier islands make for great back bays, some like we have here in the NE USA.

Enjoy!!!!!

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

We don't talk funny down heah, y'all just listen goofy. You'll be fine with that rig, course you'll have to get used to hosing/rinsing everything off right after you get it back on the trailer. If Colorado requires boat/motor titles, you should have an easy adjustment to life in Tejas...bring some Coors with ya.

When did ya,all stop drinking Pearl and Lone Star? Coors is from Colorado filtered through asbestos

Do you really like the imported stuff?

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Absolutely bring your rig! These are my home waters and I know you'll enjoy yourself. I had a little 14' runabout that I enjoyed for many years. I have a 17' now that I use as often as I can. Keep an eye on the weather as some days the bays are nice and other days a little choppy. But even on windy days, there's always a lee side to the bay. You'll need a depth sounder and a chart because all of the bays are shallow in places. Flounders, redfish and trout. Crabs and shrimp.

On the down side, it does get pretty hot and humid so you really should consider a bimini top. Sometimes the mosquitos on the Gulf Coast can be dauntling. Also, this is hurricane country. Keep those trailer wheel bearings in good shape in case you need to load the boat up with personal belongings and get the heck outta Dodge before the Sheriff shows up. (A lot of times there will be a bunch of broken down boat trailers about 10 miles from home on evacuation day. That's just heartache upon heartache.)

bollie46

Cadet

Thank every one for the pos advice. The boat is comming with. We are looking at Rosharon my DW is hell-bend on moving to Texas, it meant a huge drop in salary but I think our quality of live will make up. We are outdoors people and the snow and winters in Colorado is getting to much.

Doug N.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Snow and winter in CO? No sympathy from a Minnesota boy. Up here we chop a hole in the water to fish in the winter.:)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Well, bring your snow shovel with you...you might see a skiff of snow once in a decade down there, but you'll find other uses for it...I drag mine out now and then just to freak the neighbors. When you're looking for digs, remember that shade is a good thing...anything to reduce your AC bill in the summer.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

When did ya,all stop drinking Pearl and Lone Star? Coors is from Colorado filtered through asbestos

Do you really like the imported stuff?

Pearl and Lone Star are daily favs, but we do enjoy our Colorado cool-aid too. As for imports, we bring it in...and then learn to make our own better...check out some Tejas wines next time you see some...homegrown, vintner made and very tasty.

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

We are looking at Rosharon

That's cool, Rosharon is about 10 miles north of my house. I am a volunteer fire fighter here and that is part of our area that we cover. There are some really nice subdivisions going in between Rosharon and Angleton. Rosharon will put you about 30 miles from the Medical Center in Houston and about the same to the nearest boat ramp. It is also about 10 miles from Brazos Bend State Park. Depending on where you will be working, the best subdivision would be Bar X Ranch. There are tons of deer and wildlife (protected) and they have three lakes to fish in. When you get here, shoot me a PM. If you like mexican food, La Casona in Angleton is the best you will ever eat. Maybe we can get together and make a trip to the water. Not sure if you have kids, but the Angleton Rec Center was voted as one of the top 10 places to hang out in the summer because it has an indoor pool area for the kids to play and activities as well. Another fun place is the Kemah Boardwalk http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/ . The only thing that won't survive the fishing is the boat trailer. The salt water will take it out in less that 2 years if it is not galvenized or aluminum. Have a safe trip down. We'll see you when you get here and have ya sayin' YA'LL in no time. Thanks, Steven

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I forgot to ask if you were good at fiberglass? I have one heck of a project going on right now (see sig). Thanks, Steven

bollie46

Cadet

Hi Steven thanks for the reply My son (19years) is also a volunteer fire fighter in out little town. They are quite busy with the interstate running past. One of his concerns was that he will have to give up his service, I am going to show him this post to set his mind at ease. I look at your project but you are way more knowledgeable than me. I will have to learn a lot about boating in salt water so I will take u up on the offer. Would love to get one of those Red fish on the end of my line.

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rosharon has a small volunteer FD as well. We cover when they are not available or need help. It gets a little tuff during the day sometimes due to lack of manpower but we manage. As far as the Angleton FD, he will have to live within 4 miles of the nearest fire station and could use some young blood. We have one down town, north side, and south side. I am not sure what Rosharons restrictions are. It is alot of fun. I spend a lot of time at the schools teaching fire prevention to kids in day care up to second grade. Here are pics of some of our equipment. Thanks, Steven

Peirce Rescue Truck:
mp100_4780.jpg

Peirce 100' Platform:
mp100_4779.jpg

E-One 1250 Pumper:
mp100_4778.jpg

E-One 1250 Pumper:
mp100_4777.jpg

Robotronics 1 Quart R/C Pumper (Freddie):
mp100_6446.jpg

Fire Prevention (I'm suited up crawling through the kids):
mp100_6458.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Pearl and Lone Star are daily favs, but we do enjoy our Colorado cool-aid too. As for imports, we bring it in...and then learn to make our own better...check out some Tejas wines next time you see some...homegrown, vintner made and very tasty.

Shiner Bock makes me :).