84 bayliner Capripulls hard left

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennedy7827

Cadet
This is my first post and my first boat. This boat has a volvo penta 270. I just got this boat and it pulls hard to the left at speeds of 15+ mph. I need help. The boats trim is messed up to and the seller said it needed a new trim motor any suggestions there as well. Thanks guys for all the help I know that I will recieve! :D

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 84 bayliner Capripulls hard left

You adjust the exhaust outlet to correct steering pull, if it pulls left, turn the outlet to the left.

There is no trim on a 270 only tilt. you trim by changing the posititon of the adjuster pin at the bottom of the transom shield.

Do you hear the relay click when you try to tilt up?

zbnutcase

Commander

Unless you have a 270T drive (never seen one yet in a Bayliner) you dont have trim, just tilt. As for the pulling, you need to adjust the trim tab/exhaust outlet. Loosen bolt, and turn it left a bit at a time until it steers ok.

kennedy7827

Cadet
Re: 84 bayliner Capri pulls hard left

Re: 84 bayliner Capri pulls hard left

Adjusted the tab and the steering is great. I meant to say i need a tilt motor. I lifted the motor cover and seen there is no tilt motor there. Any ideas on a cheap place to get one.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

My experience with old boats is that frequently I can find a whole boat cheaper than the parts that I need. I'm running a decent old '83 volvo penta 270 that I found for $200 with trailer! I put about $500 in it getting it fixed up but absolutely love the old boat. I've got a yard full of junkers. Paid $700 for a 23 ft bayliner cabin cruiser with 350 chevy on an aluminum trailer... spent $500 on upholstery... bad thing was that I put out $1500 on a block and manifold parts. Lots of work but I've enjoyed the boats and would love to get rid of all but a couple of them.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 on the parts boat. Did the same thing for $100. And sold enough parts to pay fpr the doner boat.

Those motors are always for sale on E-Bay, How many wires are stubbed out to your tilt motor? The two wire motors seem to be the ticket when upgrading.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wish I could find a good parts boat right now so I could get the prop, nut, and thrust washer for my volvo penta 270 outdrive...

Status
Not open for further replies.