Started work on my 97 Bayliner Capri 2050

tahoe916

Cadet
So a family friend with too much money and not enough time gave me his 97 Capri 2050 with about 4 hours on it. He gave it to me because he left it sitting in storage for the last six years and the floor is soft. There were actually mushrooms all over the floor haha.

The motor, out drive, etc. is all perfect however. Just need to do an impeller, oil change, tune up, etc. and it should be good to go.

The floor however I'm unsure of. I took ALL of the carpet out. The floor is actually only soft around the ski locker. I've cut about a 3 ft wide strip of the floor from the back to front straight up the middle and am thinking the rest of it doesnt look bad at all.

My question is how should I go about this from here, I'm at the mindset right now to fill the strip with marine grade ply, then glass over all of the wood, then non slip epoxy over that and put in some nice snap in carpets.

Do I need to glass before I do the epoxy? Should I not epoxy and just do carpet again? Any reasons for one way or the other, other than personal preference?

Anyone know of a good write up on all of the steps needed? I'm pretty handy with all of this, but I've never glassed something this big, and I've never epoxied something this big either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, can wait to get this baby out in the water!