fuel question

Jet Star

Seaman
when i prime the primer bulb on the fuel line from the tank untill it goes hard if it sits for a mininte or so should it still be hard? and should it only take a few pumps? i think im sucking in air

Last edited:

redart

Seaman Apprentice
Re: fuel question

If you're not turning the engine over the bulb should stay hard as there should be nowhere for the fuel to go. Should only take 2 or 3 squeezes of the bulb to make it hard. If it's deflating you have a leak somewhere or the bulb non-return valve is faulty.

Jet Star

Seaman

thanks thats gotta be my problem then. damn ****ty plastic gas tanks!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Staring with the carb bowl empty even it should not take many pumps, but I have never counted them! More carbs more pumps though I suppose.

The ball should remain firm I would think for some minutes , ideally for a considerable time.

If the ball loses pressure either the carb float needle valve is letting by, in which case the engine may tend to flood while running, or more likely the valve at the tank connection end of the ball is faulty. That would also make priming a more protracted process but the engine will run normally.

If there are air leaks into the fuel line the engine will show symptoms of fuel starvation, possibly even stop after a few minutes.

Nothing to do with plastic tanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it ain't the tank. possibly you have a carb float needle not seating and sealing properly. the bulb has a anti backflow valve in it. that could be bad.

Jet Star

Seaman

well the reason i was saying the tank was first the threads are stripped where the mettal fitting goes and i already had to put a new line on inside the tank but being unable to acces it i simply just stuck a new hose on the fiting and threaded it in the hose wasnt that tight on the fitting so it could be sucking air there or its a defectife primer bulb/fitting from canadian tire (brand new) this motor started fine yesterday on a different boat with a different gas tank/ line

Jet Star

Seaman

just noticed its leaking fuel out of the one fittiing when i pumpe the bulb

Jet Star

Seaman

just replaced the fitting with a new one. no more leaking but it is sucking air. looks like the female fittings (seasense) dont fit the male ones properly :mad::confused: