Possible restoration project

badMonkey

Seaman Apprentice
You guys and your cool stories about restoring boats have got me to spinning.

I saw this in our local craigs list for $1200. I talked to the guy and he was a bit iffy on how well the twin 35s are running. I am thinking of a very long resto project as I would have to do a fair bit of learning to get it done.

It seems like too cool of a boat to pass up, but then there is the problem that my skills are perhaps not where then need to be.

The floor looks pretty rough and I have yet to see the boat in person.

What do you think? (not about my skills, about the boat)

starcrafttwin.jpg

starcrafttwinstern.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Possible restoration project

Welcome to iBoats!!
Very Nice Discovery!!!
Price is a little iffy, especially if they aren't running. Check if you can find out when they were LAST running. Cost to replace ALL tune up PARTS and seals will run about $300 each. If you can do the work then you should be fine. If not mechanic work can be pricey as well. I have the Manual for those old evvinrudes so if you buy her let me know and I'll send you a copy. Check the compression on the motors. Should be at Least 100+ psi on each cylinder and be within 10psi of each other.
Replacing the Floor and other Cosmetics is well within your skill set especially with the help you can get here. Lots of "TIN BOAT" enthusiasts. I would GUESS that your Dollar investment would WORST CASE be around $2,000.00 to bring her back to Tip Top shape. That's if you do the mechanic work and all the other demo and restore work. If not then add 1 - 2 more thousand. Ask yourself this. If it were in perfect running condition, freshly painted and new interior, would I pay $4500,00 for her? If so, then you might have a deal, especially if you want to learn about working on boats from the DECK UP (and down). :D Depends on how fancy you get with the interior. Bottom line is the Motors are the most important thing. Take someone with you that can do a compression check on the motors before you make any kind of a deal. If it were me I would be taking $750.00 CASH and flash that at him. Do you have to have Titles for Boats and Motors in Nebraska. If so, make sure he's got those as well. Getting those replaced can be costly too!

These are just GUESS-timates but well within the ball park of restoring a boat of that caliber.

Good Luck

monarch78

Recruit

See if he will trough in the pictures on the wall behind the boat. :D

badMonkey

Seaman Apprentice

he says the engines run very roughly and one of them is missing a water pump. I am not particularly handy with an engine (although not unwilling to dive in). $300 in parts x 2 might scare me off given my inexperience.

There is something inspiring about a twin engine boat, I don't know what but it just looks super cool to me. I will go take a look and see how bad the rest of it is. I have another picture that shows a pretty nasty interior.

I appreciate your thoughts on it woodnglass !

I might keep looking until I find a boat with a little less mechanical repair required.

monarch -- oop I totally didn't see those pics, and I bet he won't :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey monkey,

The $300 dollars was replacing EVERYTHING. You might not have to especially if they're running rough. That could just mean come carb kits and tune ups. If thats the case you could get by for way less. I was talking about making it like new and having a learning experience. Don't sell yourself short. You'd be surprised what 1st time rookies have done on this site with the help of everyone on here. Take a look at it and see if he will come down on the price. Twins are unique and if you fixed it up a little and got her running smooth I'm pretty sure you could get your money back. Heck I might buy it from you. :D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Agreed...that's a sweet deal if you can get him down below $1000. If you can tune/clean the average lawnmower, you can do a tune up on both those big twins. As noted, check the compression...that's the most important thing. It's a tinny, so pulling and replacing the deck, seats, etc. isn't hard...just time-consuming...not nearly as complex as doing this on a f-glass boat. It might need a new transom, too.
Bottom line with any boat find is...will this suit my needs as a fishing/skiing/cruising boat? If not, walk away and keep looking.