Anodes for pontoon boat

Tommyd9

Recruit
:confused:Sold my Center Console and bought a 20' Bennington Pontoon Boat. Figured I was finished with saltwater. Well, that was a mistake. Looks like I will be fishing saltwater 3 or 4 times a year. In view of this, should I install anodes on the boat? If so, where?

Thanks,
Tommy D.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Anodes for pontoon boat

They are not necessary. Just rinse with fresh water after each salt water excursion.

Tommyd9

Recruit

:)Thanks for the input EGlideRider. Being from the sunshine state, you should have a lot of experience with saltwater. I fish Newport News and Chesapeake Bay on good days.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've always understood that sacrificial anodes are most effective when a boat is kept in salt water for any length of time, especially at a marina , where it is likely that the salt water carries extra electrical charge from shore power cables, dock lighting, etc. I'll follow this thread, as I use an aluminum boat in saltwater (far away from marinas) for several hours at a time, but can't imagine I need anodes. I could be wrong.

Larry

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tommy, I have just recently moved to the coast of the Sunshine State so I have little experience with aluminum and salt water. All of my previous boating has been mainly fresh water. But as stated earlier, anodes are only required if the boat is stored in the water for long periods of time near other current carrying devices such as chargers on other boats.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Tommy, I have just recently moved to the coast of the Sunshine State so I have little experience with aluminum and salt water. All of my previous boating has been mainly fresh water. But as stated earlier, anodes are only required if the boat is stored in the water for long periods of time near other current carrying devices such as chargers on other boats.

You could get the pontoons painted ,but that's not cheap.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you only put the boat in salt water a few times a year I wouldn't worry about any more anodes than what came on the motor.

I would be more concerned about a painted trailer. I have a friend who had a painted trailer rusted through in a half dozen places when it was 5 years old. He blames not rinsing the rails and the rest of the trailer properly after twice yearly Chincoteague, VA flounder trips.

I use my boat for these trips once or twice a year and take an hour to spray white lithium grease on exposed steel and iron parts before the trip, then rinse the entire boat and trailer very thoroughly right after each trip.

I also make a point of rinsing the trailer real well at the ramp the next time I launch in fresh water by running it in and out of the water several times at the ramp to clean the insides of the rails and rinse the salt off the bunks.

Tommyd9

Recruit

Thanks for all the input guys. Makes me feel much better about my trips to VA. Had a Cobia Center Console before so that was not an issue.
I do have a galvenized trailer, so that helps also. Guess I'll just wash her off real well after each trip.
Thanks again,
Tommy D.:cool: