1999/2000 LX250TX Gauge Setup???

4by4

Recruit
I've got this motor and no gauges to match.... I would like to go analog with the gauges over the one digital gauge $$$. I looked on this site and I figured out the 7000 rpm tach and got it working. Does anyone know if this Yamaha motor is setup to use a temp gauge or just a dummy light??? The other question is how to hook up a trim gauge and temp gauge???
Thanks
mike

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999/2000 LX250TX Gauge Setup???

thats why ya shoulda bought the 6y5 digital.
the oil visul alarms are in it,the overheat visual,the trim,the RPM and the hour meter and its all simply plug and play.
to install a trim meter look at your sender,it will either have 2 or 3 wires. buy the guage based on a two wire or three wire sender.

4by4

Recruit

So it will be a two wire or three wire setup, ok. What aftermarket gauges are suitable with yamaha, or does it have to be a yamaha gauge? There are two plugs on the side of the motor and both are with 4 wires??? One has pink,grey,black and I think yellow. The other has orange with stripe, black with stripe, etc.
Are you telling me that the sending unit for the temp is only for a warning light, and won't work with a gauge?

I would love to put in the digital gauges, however its not my boat and there are two motors (LX & SX) as well as dual station to consider. $$$$$$
I'm just the middle man trying to get it done.
Thanks

Just found the 6y5 you were talling me about, would the PRO SERIES II 6Y7-83540-80-00 work with my setup??? its only 120$us vs 360$us each.

Last edited:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

to tired to look it up now.
but yes I think one of the analog yamaha tachs has the oil and overtemp indicates but not trim or hours.
tell your customer to bite the bullet,buy the right stuff and actually save time and money in the long run.
say we have the 6y5 digital package.
running along and the buzzer sounds the motors go snake sheet and aaAAAAHHHHHH
you glance down at the tach and on the port tach 3 bars are flashing.
we prettymuch just trouble shot the oil system failure by a simple guage.
what would YOU think just happened?