1976 70HP Evinrude bogging down

stuckonland

Recruit
I have a 1976 Evinrude 70HP motor (model number 70673D) that starts fine and runs great until today. It is mounted to a 1987 Sylvan bass boat. The problem happened after I had been fishing for a few hours, started up the engine and took off at almost full throttle. Slowed down for a no wake zone, and after exiting the no wake zone, I pressed the throttle again and the boat would barely move. It won't go fast enough to plane out. I don't have a tach but I am guessing it is at least half the RPM's. Engine runs great in neutral. New fuel line, new gas and six month old spark plugs. Would like to know the best approach to fixing this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 70HP Evinrude bogging down

Start with the basic checks, spark, compression and fuel delivery. Have you checked your plugs to see if one of them fouled out?

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a clogged carb jet to me.

After removing the air box, you can take out the plug near the bottom of each carb's bowl and *gently* poke a long paper clip in there. There are more thorough and time consuming ways to clear out the jets, but this will work. Let us know.

stuckonland

Recruit

That's great information, I'll check that today. Thanks for the help.