Carpet glue down, do I need to take it up?

badMonkey

Seaman Apprentice
I got in a hurry and I think I messed up some carpet.

I have a skii boat ( sea sprite 1997 vintage ). Beneath the deck is a small but long compartment that is useful for holding skiis, ropes, etc.

I removed the original carpet and layed new carpet in using
Overton's Indoor/Outdoor carpet glue.

The fiberglass surface was a little wet before I started so I used beach towels to dry it. As far as I could tell it was dry to the touch. The instructions suggested that 72 hours would be sufficient to dry the glue.

Honestly I forgot that I had even installed the carpet when I decided to take the boat out for some skiing ( 70 hours after install ).

When I laid the glue down I actually ran it past the length of the carpet figuring that it would dry out and out of sight, out of mind. As would be expected everything got wet and even worse the exposed glue is still very wet to the touch.

I will be out of town for 8-10 days and I have a fan blowing on the whole thing, but have I simply ruined the entire setup? Ripping out the carpet and scraping down the glue isn't really a huge deal ( I probably have 40$ in it all together ).

Any thoughts? (beyond stop being in a hurry)

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carpet glue down, do I need to take it up?

your fine....

but the wet exposed glue will track all over your new carpet.

take a scrap and place it over the exposed glue area.

you didnt say if the new carpet is moving?...if it is..throw a heater in there and a good fan...(if its an inboard tarp only to the motor cover and do not include the motor under the tarp.
the heater could ignite any gas fumes)

the rest is fine....usually a 24 hr cure is sufficient.....72 hrs is a really long time for out door carpet glue

badMonkey

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carpet glue down, do I need to take it up?

No, the carpet isn't moving.. it is just the "squeeze out" that was wet. I was presuming that the glue under the carpet was wet given the uncovered glue was not cured.

The boat is in my garage and I can put a small oil filled electric heater in the hold.

Thank Oops! ( and I have enjoyed reading your transom extension project )