14" V Bottom with a Honda 9.9. Problem.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I'm sure I'll catch he-- over this question but I'm at the end of my rope. What I have is a 14' Lowe V with a 01 Honda 9.9 4 stroke long shaft, stock 4 blade at work so I can't say what it is. Beeing a tool and die maker I put a Jack plate on it. The anticavation plate is nearly level with the bottom of the boat. The problem I have is it rides very low in the back at full throttle not even close to plaining out. I've installed a fishing deck on the front 3/4 treated, trolling motor and battery, very heavy. In the back I have a starter battery, 5 gallon tank and some 1/2 treated. Is the 9.9 not going to do the trick? I don't want to hall as- but just be able to see over the front of the boat.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 14" V Bottom with a Honda 9.9. Problem.

Is the motor trimmed in? you are hauling a lot of weight.Most likely will need a prop change.Lower pitch.I'm surprised a 4 blade is stock.You could also get a tiller extension so you can sit in the middle seat. I suspect it may be a small 14.
Possibly measure less than 14'. somewhat narrow.etc.Your 4 stroke needs to operate at or very near its max rated rpm.I suspect around 6,000.
Sometimes if the transom or jack plate is too vertical the motor can't tuck in enough to help it plane.Also the jplate should allow a lot of height you should be able to see the plate on plane.Of course you may need to plane first.
i wouldn't be surprised if the plate measured a couple of inches higher than the bottom when right.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

The motor has power trim, I'm currently sitting just back of mid point in the boat, I have a steering wheel, it's set up like a small bass boat. The 4 blade may not be stock just a off hand stab on my part. The Jack plate/motor angle is a direct reflection of the transom. When I go to WOT the rear dives down nearly to the point the the small exhaust port is about to take on water. I could raise the motor a few more inches and see what that does for me. I have some pictures, I'll see if I can post them. Thanks for your help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Some boats the transom is too vertical.Are you sure the motor is able to tuck in all the way.Trim hanging up, limit switch,if any, adjusted wrong?
Normally a 4 blade will lift the stern and is an excellent addition to assist planing.
Stern dives down sure sounds like improper trim. Does the motor paralell the transom when tucked in?What is the boats rating for a motor and capacitiy?

The small Lowe 14,just guessing based on the 9.9 power, is rated at 702 lbs I figure with your modifications your at over 600lbs including 200 for yourself.With fasteners,framing,paint,carpet anchor etc your probably at 700lbs.may have a tough time planing but careful prop selection should help.

Last edited:

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

I am very pleased that you are willing to help. When I get home I will provide you with better data. Trim is tucked in all the way for sure. The motor is slightly past paraell in favor of the front of the boat. Wish I knew all the correct terms, boat lingo. I'll get back to ya around 4 Indy time. If you have an email add I can send many pics. Thanks again

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Check your personal messages.
When you say "in favor of the front of the boat" did you mean hold it down?

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I didn't get back to when I said I would, I'm working on a Exciter 220 replaceing the 2 cycle injection lines from the top to the bottom, for the life of me I can't find the bleeder screw. Just got called into work #%++^<

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 2006 Honda 9.9 on a 14' Alumacraft with, two trolling motors, two large batteries with tackle boxes, coolers, rod holders etc. and it planes out no problem. It has the stock 9 1/4"X9P /Solas four blade prop. Recommended rpm range WOT is 5K-6K, mine is currently running 5000 to 5400 depending on conditions. I run the motor on the top or second from the top tilt hole, which is level or just tucked in a bit. My cavitation plate is about 3/8" below the bottom of the boat. I don't have a speed reading, but I would guess its about 20 mph.
My guess is you just have to much weight, 1/2 and 3/4 PT plywood are very heavy stuff when dry and they double in weight if they get wet. Are you sure the prop dosn't say what size it is? Mine has it plainly in inches and metric on the hub, between the blades. The dealer told me I had the right prop for mine and now that I have a tach, he was right, but since I have added quite a bit of weight, I'm going to get the same prop in an 8"pitch and see if I can raise the engine a bit.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thats not a good sign. A 6 1/2" should get it up if anything will.Are you sure the motor is making full power?Is it firing on both cylinders?
Are you sure it trims in enough to help it level out.Is the boat indeed a small 14.
with the 700 weight rating?Do you have a model name? or measure the length and width. Is it rated at 10hp?Are you a pretty big guy?You might take it to a scale
like at a scrap yard and see what it weighs.Subtract the weight of the trailer.
By the way did you send pics?Haven't seen anything yet.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

e272c2af.jpg

ff47c60e.jpg

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

ca9c5903.jpg

inside view. Trolling motor batt in the front along with the 3/4 plywood, I agree it's heavy but wouldn't that help to bring it down in the front?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I,m thinking the 61/2 is so small it can't get up enough speed to plane.Maybe try an 8"I'm going to do some figuring.
I did some rough figuring if my math is right I figure that 6 1/2 prop at 5,500 rpm turns a little les than 2,750 rpm works out to about 10 mph actual.With a light boat.So even though the 6 1/2 will let the motor rev it isn't likely going to produce a planing speed. Try an 8" pitch 4 blade,if possible.Without an rpm reading at a planing speed you can't really come up with
a accurate prop selection.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dunno. That looks like an awful lot of boat for a 9.9

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I dunno. That looks like an awful lot of boat for a 9.9

Its sure not going to go very fast but it won't plane with the 6 1/2. Thats meant for a load that just plane won't plane.lol
At least an 8 might reach planing speed.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

So other than the 8 which I will try you guys are thinking ditch the wood
etc? Hate to do that I put a lot of work into it. Bummer it's my 12 year old sons boat he really likes it. How much does a 8" Pitch prop cost?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

A Solas Amita4 blade 8" pitch here at iboats is $54 with free shipping.3113-093-08
You could go to the iboats prop store page and order it.
This is kind of grabbing at straws but if it doesn't solve your problem
it should work when you lighten the boat. Where the 6 1/2 wouldn't.

Fed

Commander

I think the prop is on backwards and the outer ring has been put on the wrong side if that's at all possible.
Take it easy on me it's only 8.30 AM here.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I agree, I think that 10"X 6-1/2" is meant for a kicker on a sailboat or similar. First, I would find a way to check the rpms, otherwise everything else is a guess, but my bet is you are going to need to go to a 9 1/4 X 8". I have seen them for around $60. I am impressed with your work on the boat, including the jackplate, worse comes to worse, I am sure it will support a much bigger motor. I compared my prop to the photo of yours and they are obviously different, mine has a standard prop shape to the blades, where yours has more of a square ended fan blade look.

Last edited: