3.7 altinator conversion????

BEARMAX

Cadet
is there any way to do a budget alt converion on my 3.7 ie junkyard parts.local marinas want $700 for the kit
i bet a gm one wire will do the trick but what bracket and pully can be used i havent put alot of thought into this yet but its an idea .who here has done seen it done

YeboGogo

Seaman
Re: 3.7 altinator conversion????

It can be done. Mine was when I bought it.

The guy used one of these :
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4049/ and mounted it off of the power steering pump. He then made a bracket that goes off the coolant body and holds the bottom of the alternator.

Then take string and work out your belt size and go to a local store.

My alternator is a marine grade 63amp 1 wire unit. Its connected straight to the positive terminal. The old regulator is bridged.

Its like this : http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/59/58728/470_wops1.jpg

But i have power steering and its mounted higher and further to the right. Ill take a pic next time i go to the lake. But looks pretty simple.

BEARMAX

Cadet

SWEET thank u for ur reply .yes please get me a pic of urs when u can id be greatful..;)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

is there any way to do a budget alt converion on my 3.7 ie junkyard parts.local marinas want $700 for the kit
i bet a gm one wire will do the trick but what bracket and pully can be used i havent put alot of thought into this yet but its an idea .who here has done seen it done

Make sure you get a MARINE alternator.

YeboGogo

Seaman

Here is a pic. Quality isnt great.. If you have questions Ill try answer them

Attachments

• IMG00081-20100626-1409.jpg
    IMG00081-20100626-1409.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0

BEARMAX

Cadet

very nice looks easy enough what do u mean when u say the old reg is bridged .;...thank you for time in helping me ;)

YeboGogo

Seaman

very nice looks easy enough what do u mean when u say the old reg is bridged .;...thank you for time in helping me ;)

I might have to take a look at a diagram again. I honestly dont know if you need to. You can probably just disconnect the input to the regulator and feed the power from the alternator straight to the battery. It will act as a capacitor and smooth out the power rifts.