Gear Oil Reservoir Overflowing

Afman82

Recruit
I have a 1998 Bayliner Trophy with a Mercruiser 4.3L Vortex engine, I've noticed the Gear Oil Reservoir has been leaking out of the breather hole in the cap when I'm under way. It seems the bottle or the lines aren't leaking. Hoping to get some information with this problem.

Aman82

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gear Oil Reservoir Overflowing

Mine was doing the same thing.... Does yours have a small rubber insert in the top of the cap? If so, pull on the top of it until the slightly larger portion of the stem pops through the top of the cap. Mine was not up all the way, and this is what caused the leak. Yours could be the same.

Dukksoup

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Gear Oil Reservoir Overflowing

Had very simular problem on my 4.3, turns out that my lower leg gear oil plug gasket was shot and as I was moving the boat on the water the resivior was filling up ever so slowly pushing water back up to resivior, you couldn't notice any water in the resivior container until you remove it from the snap on clips and tilt it sideways....sure enuf there was a film of water sitting at the very bottom, which was forceing the gear oil out of the cap, not sure if this is your problem but it's worth looking at, turns out that all I needed was a $5.00 gasket for the lower leg gear case oil plug.