anyone else experience the earthquake?

Andy in NY

Commander
epicenter was 10km underground, 50km north of Ottawa, Ontario... 5.5 magnitude. We felt it pretty good here in northern New York. I was working at my desk around 1:45 when i felt the desk shaking... wasn't sure what was going on! Too light for any damage here, but I have a friend in Ottawa that said it knocked plenty down at her house. It was reportedly felt in Boston, NYC, Detroit, Chicago and the furthest was Louisville, KY.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: anyone else experience the earthquake?

epicenter was 10km underground, 50km north of Ottawa, Ontario... 5.5 magnitude. We felt it pretty good here in northern New York. I was working at my desk around 1:45 when i felt the desk shaking... wasn't sure what was going on! Too light for any damage here, but I have a friend in Ottawa that said it knocked plenty down at her house. It was reportedly felt in Boston, NYC, Detroit, Chicago and the furthest was Louisville, KY.

I felt it, but then again, I live in Ottawa. I was in my office (8th floor) and it shook the building pretty good. Was interesting to watch the building next to me shake out of my office window.

It was downgraded to a 5.0 apparently. No damage in the city that I've seen/heard of but at the epicenter there was buildings such as a church that was damaged, and collapsed bridge, etc.

gonefishie

Commander

That was an earthquake? :eek: I thought my gas release had a little extra power. :D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You guys sure get excited over a little 5.0 earthquake!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I felt it at work in Albany, but it was barely perceptible because we are on a concrete slab.

andybid

Cadet

:)Only ever experiencedf one as a kid. I'm in Cornwall, UK and it was in Birmingham. It was so small compared to you guys get. Am I weird in wanting to experience a proper quake???? I just really want to feel what it is like to have the earth move beneath you.. I could makea a joke here something about how my girlfriend would love to have that feeling as well but I wont....

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The secretary at work, her son and daughter-in-law live in Ottawa. She called her moth-in-law here at work right after she felt the earthquake to see if she felt it too. She just hung up the phone and came out of her office to tell us about it when the building started to creak and shake. I couldn?t believe the time it took to travel from Ottawa to St. Catharines.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The secretary at work, her son and daughter-in-law live in Ottawa. She called her moth-in-law here at work right after she felt the earthquake to see if she felt it too. She just hung up the phone and came out of her office to tell us about it when the building started to creak and shake. I couldn?t believe the time it took to travel from Ottawa to St. Catharines.

Speed of sound I think..
So in NRN, it's ~ 1/3 of an hour Ottawa-St.Catherines ~ 20 minutes

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Got this in an email from my wife (she's Canadian)

Picture of devastation after earthquake in Toronto:

TorontoEarthquake.jpg