Can't find the prop I am lookin' for????

ljenks

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 4.3 carbed Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 outdrive. The #'s on my current prop are 832834A45P23. From what I have found the diameter is
14ish & the pitch is 23. Please correct me if I am wrong!!!

I am looking for a little more bottom end out of my boat & think that I should try going down to a 22 pitch??? Again, correct me if I am wrong.

So, I think I have decided that I would like to try a 4 blade aluminum prop before I spend alot of money on a stainless.

The problem is I have just looked on here & in my overtons catalog & can't find the first aluminum prop for my boat in a 14x22.....Am I looking at something wrong here????

ljenks

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can't find the prop I am lookin' for????

Ok... I am new to all of this.

Is the pitch of a prop only sold, or made in odd numbers???

i.e. I can get a 14x23 or a 14x21, but not a 14x22???

Which would bring me to another question. I think if I go from a 23 pitch to a 21 pitch, that will be too much bottom end. Think so???

Thanks for the input guys.

foodfisher

Captain

I'm jackin, Once upon a time there was hwsiii, he had all the answers. Hope all is well.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Ok... I am new to all of this.

Is the pitch of a prop only sold, or made in odd numbers???

i.e. I can get a 14x23 or a 14x21, but not a 14x22???

Which would bring me to another question. I think if I go from a 23 pitch to a 21 pitch, that will be too much bottom end. Think so???

Thanks for the input guys.

well few places will carry every prop....especially the standard makers...

you can go with a custom prop or the specialty prop makers and get anything you want!!!

if you look at all the different makers you might find the pitch youd like to try..but the different styles of props could negate or doublr your intended change!!!

you didnt list the WOT rpms of your motor...so no one would hazzard a guess to say if it is ok to go to 21!!!

if you want prop advice you have to at least give the wot rpms of your set up...

good luck

bob

ljenks

Seaman Apprentice

the WOT of my engine is rated at 44-4800. With my average gear & riders, I am real close to that rpm trimmed out all the way. Although, when I pull tubes and skiers, my bottom end is not that good?

Hope this helps

180shabah

Rear Admiral

the WOT of my engine is rated at 44-4800.

That tells us what you SHOULD be turing

With my average gear & riders, I am real close to that rpm trimmed out all the way.

Are you close to 4400 (over or under?)
Are you close to 4800 (over or under?)

We need your EXACT WOT figures. I'm gonna throw a couple of props out there, but without real numbers consider them a guess.

1. Amita4 in 23" - aluminum, $100+/-, better holeshot, minimal loss on top end
2. High5 in 23" - SS, $200+/-USED, incredible holeshot, minor loss of top end

whit71

Seaman Apprentice

Stiletto has a 14 1/4 x 22 but it is SS in there Bay Pro II series.. Im haveing the same problem trying to decide on changing from a 21 3 blade to a 22 4 blade see my post (I need help picking a prop) havent got much help yet. good luck hope you get it figured out.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Stern drives are a little easier to chose a prop for because you can't easily change the X dimension. The 4 blade Bay Pro II props are designed for stern drives. Basically if you run a 23" 3 blade Stiletto then you can go to a 22" 4 blade Bay Pro II. For even more pulling power you could drop to a 20" Bay Pro II.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

That tells us what you SHOULD be turing

Are you close to 4400 (over or under?)
Are you close to 4800 (over or under?)

We need your EXACT WOT figures. I'm gonna throw a couple of props out there, but without real numbers consider them a guess.

1. Amita4 in 23" - aluminum, $100+/-, better holeshot, minimal loss on top end
2. High5 in 23" - SS, $200+/-USED, incredible holeshot, minor loss of top end

I vote for the Amita4 imo the most bang for the buck. 4s generally improve hole shot,allow slower planing speeds,operate smoother,better dock side control,less venting and generally more trim and higher outboard height.