???? Three batteries with Perko switches

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Below is a picture of my boat battery setup. In addition to what you see in the picture there is also and on board GUEST Charge PRO Model 2613 (you can see a corner of it on the pic). I did not set this up this way, it was already setup when I bought the boat 4 years ago. The way it is in the picture is the way the switches are 100% of the time. Up until a month ago I have never even ONCE had an issue with the batteries, every single time after each use I put the plug on the boat to keep the batteries nicely charged.............

Now to my problem. A month ago I added an amp with a Subwoofer to my system and with this I changed the dynamics of how my batteries are used and I want to learn how to take advantage of the battery switches that I already have installed as I have already had many issues with the batteries since my amp was installed a month ago.

On two separate occassions after spending some time in the sandbar playing some tunes, I've had to use my portable charging station to get my boat started (always carry one thank god) and now my batteries won't hold a charge even after charging for the last few days. Load tested them this afternoon and all three of them read - RED BAD.

Please do not forget that I never use the switches when I'm stopped listening to the tunes.

I am running dual OB's.

Someone please enlighten me on the very best way to take advantage of my switch setup. I've already accepted the fact that I will likely be investing in 3 new batteries and I am ok with it as these batteries just had their 4 Bday last month and that is average life.

Should I be worried about the alternator? Should I invest in two starting batteries and one deep cycle just for the radio/amp etc.?

Please someone enlighten me. I need to know that I can enjoy myself with friends and family and not have to worry about my starting batteries being able to start my boat.

Thank you to those that chime in on this thread and sorry about the length.

Attachments

• IMGP0220.JPG
    IMGP0220.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: ???? Three batteries with Perko switches

Three battery setup sounds perfect to me, two starting and one house. Not entirely sure what you meant when you said you never use the switches when you're listening to tunes, but if you leave them on the "both" or "all" setting you are drawing from all the batteries rather than just the house one, so the addition of the amp and subwoofer coupled with the age of the batteries could easily account for the issues you were having. Just be sure and use the switch to isolate the draw to the house battery when you're enjoying the tunes and are not underway. Hang in there and you'll eventually get better informed and more detailed input than I've provided, but I think three new batteries and proper switching techniques will solve your problem. Good luck.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Incoop,

that's exactly what I want, for some of the more knowledgeable posters on this site about the subject to look at MY specific setup and instruct me on how I can get the best use out of my switches and batteries so that I can avoid some of the situations that I have been in over the last month.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

They'll be along.;)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

This is the setup I recommend...
2Engines3Batteries.jpg

The ACRs, when they sense a charging source, automatically combine the batteries. When the charging source is absent, they automatically isolate the batts. Now with this setup, all house loads go to the house batt, and are completely isolated from the port and starboard starting batteries, which have no loads on them.

There are other ways of doing it...

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With all due respect Seabob,

The info you posted for me is as close to chinese (to me) as it can get. You are obviously very knowledgeable in this field and I wish you would look at the picture I provided in the OP and tell me how to properly use the setup that is currently on my boat.

I DO NOT wish to tinker with or redo what I currently have. I CANNOT guarantee but suspect that the current setup on my boat is adequate for what I hope to achieve, the problem is that I just don't know how to use it.

Please help, a million pictures and diagrams won't help, only a slight tutorial on how to use what I have. ;) Thank you.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

There is lots of good info in this section on how to use those switches. You should go through it when you have time. It will be well worth your while. It's a pretty simple concept though. What they do is isolate the batteries in order to prevent unnecessary drain. The disadvantage of them is they require manual intervention, which means you have to remember to engage or disengage them as appropriate. The isolators Seabob recommends do the thinking for you. That said, with your current setup you want all the batteries "switched on" when you're underway, that way the engines can charge them while they run. When you're beached, drifting, etc. and running the stereo and other goodies you only want the house battery switched on, that way you're not dipping into your starting power to run your house electronics. In reality, three brand new quality batteries should provide more than enough power to run everything and start your engines all day provided they don't require a lot of coaxing to start, so if you do forget to switch the batteries from time to time it shouldn't be a problem. That's an over-simplified tutorial of how to work that system. Hope it helps.

sasto

Captain

Appears that middle switch is used as a paralell switch to add the other 2 batteries to the bank. Seabob is correct, usually is, dosen't appear you can charge or isolate your batteries with your setup. Great drawing. Otherwise, appears buy new batteries and keep it the way it is......all on. Keep the dirty side down.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Actually, my drawing will not allow for the house battery to be brought into the starting circuit for the motors, but the way I figure, if you have 2 good batts for the motors, you run to the fishing grounds, all 3 batts get charged via the ACRs (or VSRs if you go the BEP route). once you shut down the motors, no draw is being presented to the motor starting batts, as everything on the house side is isolated from the starting batts. You can run a 600W stereo/amp until it absolutely kills that house batt, and the starting batts will be fine.

On a side note, ACR's and VSR's have a voltage threshold that they see from the batts. If one batt is so drained that it will start pulling to much from the other batts when the engines are running, they won't allow them to be combined...

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Samagy,
I, and we, would love to help, in somewhat more simplified means. I looked at your picture, but without knowing which batt the cables to each switch come from, and without knowing which cables on the back side of the switches feed what terminals on the other switches, it is impossible to tell how everything is wired and what it's going to do.

I do know your outside switches are for you engine starting batts. I'm guessing you have Yamahas, as their positive batt cables have black insulation with red ends. I'm also guessing the the fuse holder by the batt switch in the right of the pic is for the bilge pump float.

But if you really want to to get the poop on whether this setup is wired right, you need to do some poking around yourself. Getting the cordless out, pulling these switches down and seeing what's going on behind there.

The more you learn, the less it will cost you later...

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Incoop, Seabob and sasto,

It is amazing what goes on here on this site. I can't thank you guys enough for even taking the time out to look at my situation and give me your sincere respectful opinions. There are few times when you can really explore new things in life and actually be inquisitive and ask questions ad nauseum, but it seems like for the most part on this site, the times that I have had questions people like yourselves have always taken the time out to help.

I want you to know that in my case it is well appreciated and I can almost feel that it is done with a smile even though I can't see it.

Also, this afternoon I was able to go out and more closely look at what I have and really put a little more into trying to figure out and have decided that in the next couple of days I will do some disconnecting of switches to see what I really have, I can do this with confidence knowing that I have this site in the event that things go wrong :eek:. I figure as Seabob mentions, it is the best way to learn.;)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

samagy,
When your in the middle of a BIG lake and the winds are picking up, or, worse yet, a good ways offshore in the ocean, the more you know about your boat, the better...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That's great, Samagy. The best way to learn is by doing. Just be sure to take your time and if necessary label everything before you disconnect. When it comes to wiring, even something with only a few connections can seem a little overwhelming at first. One thing I'd recommend; if you don't have one already you should consider adding an onboard charger. They make life so much easier.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Incoop,

I do have one and posted so on the OP. You can even see a small corner of it on the pic bottom right.

Thanks.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That's right. The sad thing is I even blew it up for a closer look and still forgot about it. Not old enough to be this forgetful.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Samagy,
This is one of the best books you can buy...
The12-VoltBibleforBoats2ndEdition.gif

Easily understood and will really teach you a ton about how your boat is wired and how to trouble-shoot and fix.

Electricity, 12VDC and 120VAC, comes naturally to me. My Dad, a retired Industrial Engineer, won't go near the stuff...

sasto

Captain

Samagy,
This is one of the best books you can buy...
The12-VoltBibleforBoats2ndEdition.gif

I bought this book what seems like 20 years ago. Kinda like 12-Volt for Dummies. Still use it....lol

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys,

I will be looking for that title online and will order it immediately.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

So do I...:cool: