Bet On Another Thousand is right

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Think that acronym rings true. I bought a 94 Rinker w/125 merc on it and had all checked out everything looked great. Well since I bought it, water pump went out, then water in lower unit, then rectifier, yesterday overheat alarm kept coming on. Now it's in the shop-haven't even been able to take the kids tubing because it keeps having problems. Now I'm waiting to here what the problem is, with my luck it will probably be pricey. Now I know why they say best day with the boat is when you buy and sell.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bet On Another Thousand is right

Well it's normal to have some kinks to work out on a used boat. Especially if it's sat a while. You'll be fine.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

Well it's normal to have some kinks to work out on a used boat. Especially if it's sat a while. You'll be fine.

This is why you always get a history on a boat, and make sure it was meticulously maintained.

Once the kinks are worked out, the fun begins! Look at the thread here "how old is your boat and how often does it break down"..... 90 percent say they have never been stranded and had very few problems after the kinks got worked out. Work them out and it should go for a while without trouble!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Uhhhhh your not named Andy are you? (Starcraft insider's humor)

It is a 1994 and probably never had any problems and only the bare needs for maintenance ....the good news is you will know where it stands and what has been done.

Please to make it live longer pick up a manual and follow the maintenance schedule

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Seems everything you mentioned is engine related. How is the boat? Agree with previous post. Once the kinks are worked out, you should get many years of use.

Philster

Captain

I love to boatt. Bet on another two thousand.

I figured up front that I was gonna drop $2500 when I bought my boat in the fall of '09. I factored that in.

I really think boating is more enjoyable if you don't cross your fingers and hope for the best. A used boat needs a fair am't of care. Maintenance alone can be in the hundreds.

Hang in there. Focus on the primary big things and keep the maintenance going.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the club, I had 1k set aside for my boat when I bout it, I have had it out 3 times and spent 2k now. I wont complain though because the stress relief it gives me is worth 2k any day of the week.

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

Exactly why the first thing I did was take my engne to a mechanic to have all of the maintenace done even though it ran great at the time. Even the stuff the PO claimed to have done recently.

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

I intentionally bought an older boat that had a bad motor. I priced it right, and had the whole thing gone through, including the outdrive, with me pitching in. Anything questionable was replaced. The rest of the boat was like it was stored for most of its life indoors. Will there still be issues for me to deal with later? Maybe, but not yet. Always plan on the extra costs to dial a boat in, and, of course, the extra to maintain the real expenses of annual use, and then you begin to understand real boating!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

this why I say the purchase price of a used boat is just a down payment. Lots of novices ask around here about plunking down their entire budget of $3000 on a $3000 18 year old boat. The fun is just beginning.

And even a well maintained boat will need work. After maintenance is just a repair cost, in stallments, and few of the people who do their own maintenance recognize the cost in their time to do it.

So if your old boat has issues, don't let anyone tell you you made a mistake by not buying a better maintained boat in the first place. Boats are jsut like that.

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is why you always get a history on a boat, and make sure it was meticulously maintained. ...

Pull all the reports you want and it's not gonna tell you a thing about my boat. I do all of my own work. My wife bought a $42k SUV and it broke the second month.... computer went haywire. Stuff happens.... simple.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep I agree guys, I figured I would be puttin money into the boat, it just is getting frustrating because now I am just worried to go out because it has happened one after another. Got the boat back today it was the alarm module, I had them compression check it just for piece of mind that tested great. So now I hope the relaxing can begin.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any boat is cheaper than a psychiatrist!;)

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tossed up the idea of spending 10K on a nice "used" boat or spending a lot less and using the remaining money to make it like new. The only catch to this was I did not want to be 2X into rebuilding one what a used one in good shape would cost me.

I paid 2500 for the boat and after the rebuild (minus a new motor and outdrive) I will have around 5K in it. If I end up needing a new motor and outdrive (worse case senario) I should still be at or a little under what they are asking for nice original ones and will basically have a new boat.