Feels like rolling over.

grilling

Cadet
Hello all,

I have 2001 Bayliner 195LX. When turning (towing or just cruising) to the left it feels like the boat is going to roll over. However turning to the right it is smooth and can turn sharply at any power without any loss of control felt. What could this be?

Help, I dont want to dump my family and friends into the lake.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Feels like rolling over.

Take the hydrofoil off.....

Check the hull surface - the last 3-4 feet should be straight and true.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree...if you have a hydrofoil then you need to lose it. I have a Bayliner Capri 20' with a 4.3 Merc. I put the hydrofoil on and when I put the boat in the water and tested it, it scared the heck out of me. I slowly went back to the marina and when I got home took the hydrofoil off & returned it to the store.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also had a Bayliner that did the same thing.... took off the stupid hydrofoil, and ****presto...problem gone****;)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing like foil bashing when you don't even know if it has one!!!!

To the OP. Prop torque and thrust naturallly wants to make the boat lean to the left. Turns to the left at high power will cause more lean in any boat. Reason is because the boat in the turn creates more drag and slows down, but you still have all the torque and thrust that the motor can put out which results in the boat leaning more. In turns to the right, the torque and thrust are actually trying to keep the boat more level in the turn.

Bottom line is that your boat is acting normal foor a single prop boat.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nothing like foil bashing when you don't even know if it has one!!!!

To the OP. Prop torque and thrust naturallly wants to make the boat lean to the left. Turns to the left at high power will cause more lean in any boat. Reason is because the boat in the turn creates more drag and slows down, but you still have all the torque and thrust that the motor can put out which results in the boat leaning more. In turns to the right, the torque and thrust are actually trying to keep the boat more level in the turn.

Bottom line is that your boat is acting normal foor a single prop boat.

Glad you could take the boat out for a seatrial and determine that everything is as it should be.

grilling

Cadet

Thanks...do I have to worry about toppling over or do I give it more power in the turns?

Philster

Captain

The power is what is enhancing the lean/roll on one side and cancelling some out on the other side, so don't give it more.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Glad you could take the boat out for a seatrial and determine that everything is as it should be.

The original post described what happens to all outdrive (outboard or I/O) boats. If you don't like my explanation how about giving some input of your own. Or are you just trying to start something???

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree there is a slight bias to the left, but really not that noticable in the boats I have owned or driven a lot. I spend a fair amount of time on an 18ft Chap 4.3 alpha and I dont feel any preference or excessive lean one way or the other.

I assume no tabs or other add ons to the boat? also try driving with outdrive trimmed all the way down; since in my experience trimmed up for maximum speed can cause less stability. Last, are you sure wind or currents are not a factor?

My current cruiser catches lots of cross breeze, sometimes really heels with the wind.

insearch

Seaman

Disregard the infighting, sort out the information given and take the best course for you.

grilling

Cadet

The only add-on is the hydrofoil which was on the boat when I bought it. Almost all of my boating is at 1/2 throttle or less for tubing and wakeboarding. It planes very quickly (in my opinion) with the outdrive in the full down position. At high speed it reacts quickly both to the left and right, but I can only make sharp turns to the right without feeling like I am going to turn the boat over. I can make sweeping turns left but still feel a little of the sensation at that.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The original post described what happens to all outdrive (outboard or I/O) boats. If you don't like my explanation how about giving some input of your own. Or are you just trying to start something???

I agree with what you say in that the torque steer effects the boat differently when turning in one direction or the other. However that effect is generally too little to concern someone. The OP sounds concerned and somewhat fearful with how his boat is handling. To simply tell him its normal and not to worry about it is irresponsbile in my opinion without having first expereinced 1st hand how the boat is behaving. I'm sorry if I offended you.

skargo

Banned

Since you DO have a hydrofoil, you could easily determine if it is indeed the culprit. Remove it next time you go out and see if how it handles.

I have a single I/O 5.7 powered boat and I feel nothing like that at all, so I would hazard a guess and say it's not normal.

Good luck!

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

OH.... so you DO have a Hydrofoil.... must of been a out of left field lucky guess. Try it without once, or just listen to some on here and ride it out, and presume all is normal untill capsize.:rolleyes:

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Come on guys, there's an easy fix here...don't make left turns.

HotKetchup

Seaman

ANother vote for losing the whale tail.
Just took my hydrofoil off today. It was also there when I bought mine....Handled like a new boat. Those things suck.

dbismyname

Seaman Apprentice

All good advice here on checking without the hydrofoil. However, the hydrofoil keeps the boat on plane at lower speeds making keeping your speed steady for wakeboarding a lot easier. Also, if you're wakeboarding you should not be making sharp turns under power anyways as this chops up the water for the next time you pull up your rider, or the other riders in your vicinity.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're worried about getting on a plane at slow speeds use the smart tabs. They're not too much more than a hydrofoil and you don't have to worry about the terrible control. It also takes some of the load off the drive on puts it on the boat.