Butterfly Sailboat

a7ecorsair

Recruit
Hi all,
New to this forum but participate in other forums.
I picked up a 12' Butterfly a couple of summers ago that was in decent shape but needed some small parts for the rigging which I did find. I finally got around to cleaning up the deck, rubbed it out with some compound and put on a coat of wax and it really looks nice. Now the wood rails, I'm sure they have a special name, that are on the two sides of the foot well need to be refinished. I'm reluctant to remove the screws because I don't know what is behind the fiberglass for blocking and I don't want it to fall into the hull. Does anyone know if it is safe to remove the screws that hold those two rails in place?

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Butterfly Sailboat

Welcome to the forums! Post a couple of photos so we can know what you're talking about please, a visual aid will help us all help you out.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Even if you have no access to the underside and you remove the screws and what is there comes off you CAN fix it. It is fiberglass correct. If so there are hundreds of ways of reattaching those pieces to the boat so I wouldn't worry to much. If they are screwed and there is no access I would think the builders would have made sure that they could be removed and replaced without any major obstacle. Pics would help a lot to help us help you.
;)

Chuck Gibson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello a7ecorsair,
This is amazing running in to someone else working on one of these boats. I need to update my string because I have made a little progress since I last posted. i have not posted any updates because no one was really interested in my project. I had the same exact problem and a gentleman named saildan helped me out. Please post pictures of your boat. In the next day or two I will post another update. Here is the link to my string.... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=386162

a7ecorsair

Recruit

I took the Butterfly out this AM and had nice sailing. I'll take some pictures later after the wind dies down so I can hoist the sail and display the Butterfly:)
According to their web site, Torrensen Marine still offers the Butterfly for a mere $4500

a7ecorsair

Recruit

The tiller handle, skeg, and handrails all need varnish.
Pictures:

Attachments

• Full Port.JPG
    Full Port.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • Hull 2.JPG
    Hull 2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Mfg 2.JPG
    Mfg 2.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Sailing away.JPG