Johnson 140 losing fuel prime and stalling

NJBoater01

Cadet
Hey everyone. I am new to this site so I hope I am posting this in the right place. I recently bought a 19ft chaparral with a 1987 140 johnson. During my first outing after about an hour or so, the motor stalled when i tried to throttle up after idling through a no wake zone. The fuel bulb was soft and I pumped it back up and the engine fired right up. About a half hour later while idling, it did the same thing. At cruising speed, there were no problems. Only when idling for a period of time and then trying to throttle up. Did it about 4 or 5 times during the trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 140 losing fuel prime and stalling

Look for air leaks between the fuel pump and the fuel. Sometimes a little steady pressure on the primer bulb while you carefully inspect will reveal the leak. If fuel gets out, air can and will get in.

Check the pulse limiter on the pulse line for the fuel pump; if it is black, it needs to be replaced with the blue and gold one.

You may also have a fuel obstruction in the tank vent, pickup screen, anti-siphon valve, fuel filter, or the primer bulb itself.

NJBoater01

Cadet
Re: Johnson 140 losing fuel prime and stalling

I also forgot to mention that the boat uses premix now instead of injection. I don't know if anything needs to be changed or was changed. Also, the primer bulb is before the fuel/water separator filter..don't know if that changes anything.