Steering question First non-tiller outboard

Rick.

Captain
I recently purchased a 16 foot Aluminum Springbrok (now owned by Princecraft). It has a half helm with controls, steering wheel. My outboard is a two cylinder, 1995 40 HP Johnson. Tonight i was sizing it up for a trolling motor tandem connection and I noticed the main motor will turn a sharper angle doing a right hand turn than it will doing a left hand turn. Is this normal or is my steering in need of some adjusting. I had it out on the weekend and frankly never noticed. Thanks for any advice. Rick.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Steering question First non-tiller outboard

That is normal, the steering cable pushes to the right and gets pulled to the left so it will go farther one way than the other, don't know that you can "fix" it , just kinda how they are.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Pretty much...if you have a lawn tractor, you experience the same thing...

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

No it is not normal but if it doesn't cause a problem I would probably leave it.

If you really want to chnge it then what you need to do is first turn the wheel all the way left and then all the way right taking note of how many turns it is stop to stop. Then position the wheel in the center of this range. If the wheel is centered in the range and isn't straight and you have a rotary system then the cable was probably inserted wrong. If this is the case then you would have to oull the cable out of the helm, position the wheel as described in the instructions for your helm, and re-install the cable. The wheel is keyed to the shaft and not splined like a car so you can't just pull the wheel off to get it centered correctly. With the wheel in the center of its turning range you now adjust the link arm between the end of the cable and the tiller horn on the motor to center the motor. Sometimes the link arm doesn't have adjustment, but you can get ones that do have an adjustment.

BTW, my lawn tractor turns just as sharp either right or left too.

Rick.

Captain

Thanks for the information. I'll have a look under my helm to see the set up. I have no manuals or such for this boat but I'm an expert at doing things over and over until I get it right. Rick.