Fuel or Hydraulic Fluid leak

AQUAS

Recruit
Thinkink about this more, the fact is that is is NOT gas, so what is it. Tilt fluid, steering fluid, or ethanol?

My 2001 Optimax 150 runs fine and starts right up. The tank is full of fuel from last year. I added CRC stabilizer.

The other day, it became sluggish to fire but did so after about 10 seconds of cranking. Since that time, when idling, and when the motor is turned off, alot of fuel is present in the water around the motor. The fuel does not smell like gas, but more like ethanol, or fuel stabilizer. Now the engine starts normally and runs fine, but the fuel in the water is a problem. I figure I have a leak, but it is not visible upon inspection anywhere on the block. In that it appears to be ethanol, and not gas, is it possible that what I'm experiencing has nothing to do with a leak, but is in some way caused by ethanol separation, which is not igniting, and is collecting/dumping through the exhaust.

I'd hate to pull the boat, spend alot on service, if the only issue is old fuel, and the need to burn it and replace with fresh gas.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Fuel or Hydraulic Fluid leak

If you can, pull the boat onto a trailer, park it on a side hill so the gas tank filler is on the low side, stick a siphon hose into the lowest part and pull a little out to see what you have.

I know a dirty trick to pull on somebody is to put a gallon of e85 and a quart of water into a gas can, then dump it into their automobile gas tank. (it's been done to me) I'm thinking you have excessive ethanol, a little water, and separation.

(edit) Just a thought. ethanol won't slick on water. It is miscible with water.

hope it helps
john