Installing Starter I/O

pauldjasmine

Cadet
Has anyone found a less difficult was to install<br />a starter in a 305 Mercruiser when it has to be done basicly by feel? I seem to be having problems<br />aligning the bolt holes while holding starter. ie Like putting something in the bolt holes so the don't slide out etc. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Installing Starter I/O

Nope, Being Double-Jointed Helps....

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is your boat and if you feel you have enough wood structure to work with ,take a saws -all and cut a half-moon so you get an extra inch or so .Then a young buckaroo can start the inside bolt for you.You can do some fiberglass work if looks are important.good luck

Mikevn1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Put studs in it. With no starter in the way its a piece of cake to install them. Then all you have to do is slide the starter up and get a nut started. Then the next one and your done! :cool:

Capt Ken

Commander

Mikevn, it appears you haven't tried the stud approach to this engine, won't work. Plus the bolt is a special shouldered bolt that holds the starter in place, any other bolt will allow the starter to move around and misalignment will result. Lost skin is not optional in this exercise. Feel good that you got the old one off, that is usually the hardest part. There's alot of engines that require removial of the engine to replace that starter due to the design of the engine compartment.

safedrugs

Cadet

My 302 has studs they were installed before the last repower, makes changing the starter much easier still not easy. Use a cut away washer to hold the starter stable.

Capt Ken

Commander

Ford starters to chevrolet starters are like compairing apples to bananas. The ford starter bolts go in from the front, the chevrolet comes up from the bottom. The nose of the chevrolet starter has to be inserted into the bellhousing then the bolts shoved up from the bottom. Depending if the bolt pattern is straight across or staggered, determines where the inside bolt goes. The staggered always seemed a bit easier to me. At least the bolt isn't against the front cover of the bellhousing.

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Capt Ken, Dont argue about it , let them live and learn.....Sooner or later theyll realize why we charge 70.00 per hour... D

Bondo

Staff member

Ya, Double-Jointed Miget Marine Mechanics Are Hard to Find....

Capt Ken

Commander

Once had a customer that asked how I was able to keep such a cool head and not lose my temper when working on these beasts. I just told him that when I felt my temper flaring, I just started chanting "I work by the hour, I work by the hour". If ya'll think you have problems, try coming down here in FL where everything is rusted together from salt water.