1993 250TXXR Oil not transferring to engine oil tank

nautihabits

Seaman Apprentice
Received a low oil alert with buzzer and found the engine tank was in fact low. I put oil in the engine tank and still received the warning. DO I have a bad sensor? Where do I start and check to see if it is a sensor or the remote pump?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 250TXXR Oil not transferring to engine oil tank

start by doing a forum search on precision blend. I hav posted extensivly on this.

nautihabits

Seaman Apprentice

OK I read and printed out the best of the posts. I think I understand the basics of the system. I removed and cleaned the remote tank, confirmed the pump is operating, change strainer. did a continuety test on the remote tank sender and it seams to work properly. Put in one gallon new TCW3 in remote tank. Drained engine tank and cleaned. Srainer good, the clover leaf baffles not in good shape. One is missing and the lower intact but ragged. I removed that ragged one fearing it would go down the strainer.
I checked continuity on the ECU on engine tank and this is what I got.
The plug has five wires Black, Blue/Red, Blue/Red, Blue/Green, Blue/White.
I checked continuity at the different switch levels SW1, SW2, SW3
One lead on black
SW1 - both floats up - continuity on blue/white only
SW2 - Top Float down - bottom float up - continuity on black and blue/green only
SW3 - both down - continuity on blue/green and both blue/reds
I reconnected the ECU to the motor harness outside the tank and with both up had a reading of green on the gauge, top float down bottom float up gauge stayed at green (no remote pump operation), both down alarms andgauge lights flashing.
I am not sure where to go from here. Is it a wire harness failure or is the engine ECU malfunctioning. What can I test to figure this out?

nautihabits

Seaman Apprentice

I was able to tranfer oil with the emergency switch and pump seemed to work well

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its a trouble shooter malfunction :switches are doing thier thing.
however with key on engine off it wont transfer oil unless the following conditions exist.
sw2 and sw3 on, the floats in the engine tank are down, SWB is closed, means the ECU sees sufficint oil to transfer.
with these conditions met the oil pump will run 180 seconds at key on power.
you will also have 3 bars flashing on the tach.

nautihabits

Seaman Apprentice

With engine oil tank near empty and sw2 and sw3 bottomed out. Checked continuity on SWB (remote tank sender) at harness plug in cowling and have connection. Turned key to power on / engine not running. Remote pump ran and filled oil up about half way on engine tank and shut off. I guess that is when sw3 disconnected? Oil Gauge went to green.
Is the system working properly?
Also the clover leaf baffles in the tank do I need to replace them? Are they to regulate the surge in oil from motion?
Thank you,
Technically Challenged Trouble Shooter

nautihabits

Seaman Apprentice

Does the blue/green only tell the pump to run when the motor is running?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

SWB controls green lamp or yellow lamp.
SW3 controls red lamp.with SWB closed,green lamp and SW3 cloesd,alarm, you get an audible,three bars flashing and a pump on command for 180 seconds.
that clover leaf is not servcable and keeps the switch assy centered in the screen.
if the legs curl up SW3 cannot close and if the system mafunctions you wont get an alarm and can run the engine dry of oil.
if its curling replace the switch.
its unique to the 3.1L and is why draining the water trap until the alarm sounds is nessasary 2 times a year anyway.
blue/white to ground.SW1 closed sends the ECU a pump off command,blue/green to ground SW2 closed sends a pump on commad to the ECU.
SW3 to ground sends an audible,visual on command and RPM reduction to the ECU as well as a second pump on command.
all other automatic transfers other than the condition above require the engine to be running or the ECU ignores them.